BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

In my best guess, the closest example of what we can (hopefully) expect from the metal exterior would be T-Mobile Arena. (also designed by Populous)

LASVEGASAR_0002_JeffGoldbergOfEsto-1.jpg

pretty awesome aside from the existing north entrance, which now looks 5x more brutal in contrast. maybe i had lower expectations but i dont see much to pick holes here. going to be amazing with a good arena design across the street. next hopefully cmlc comes through with the hotels they promised. all in, considering the state of the economy now, this is really something to look forward to and maybe gets the east beltline off the mat at last. imo a big win!

A green roof would be cool. On the other hand, I love the copper roof, it's probably my favorite aspect.

I'll have to think about the design some more, but for most part I like it. Nice to see a departure from the previous types of architecture.

I was just noting that an RFP was just issued for cost consultants. I find that a bit strange, as typically we bring cost consultants on board early so they can issue various classes of estimates along the design process.

They are likely bringing in cost consultants in for the working drawing phase. The design seems to be relatively set, now they need to try and pay for it lol.

Looks pretty good, about time it got released.. Should do wonders for my property values after the beating it has taken over the past recent times.
The top flat portion of the roof could use some sort of sustainable treatment like green or PVC panels or some rainwater collection to make use of the huge area this beast is going to have.
I am interested in seeing how the project delivery of this will be if it will be going the same route as the Cancer center did. Has a builder been selected yet? I hope cost cutting can be brought to a minimum so the designs identity can remain intact with a fair bit of quality and longevity. The street front elevations will need some additional refinements to continually improve the pedestrian aspect of it, Calgary is a sunny city so something could be done like some ample patio or shade space.
For me personally, I would of loved to see some kind of integrated water feature tied into the landscaping or the building mass itself, any of those cascading/bridal veil type of waterfalls along the side to help promote a relaxing and refreshing experience during the hot summers days you guys have..

Next up, a 4 star hotel is badly needed in that area to supplement all that convention business and its delegates.

Looks pretty good, about time it got released.. Should do wonders for my property values after the beating it has taken over the past recent times.
The top flat portion of the roof could use some sort of sustainable treatment like green or PVC panels or some rainwater collection to make use of the huge area this beast is going to have.
I am interested in seeing how the project delivery of this will be if it will be going the same route as the Cancer center did. Has a builder been selected yet? I hope cost cutting can be brought to a minimum so the designs identity can remain intact with a fair bit of quality and longevity. The street front elevations will need some additional refinements to continually improve the pedestrian aspect of it, Calgary is a sunny city so something could be done like some ample patio or shade space.
For me personally, I would of loved to see some kind of integrated water feature tied into the landscaping or the building mass itself, any of those cascading/bridal veil type of waterfalls along the side to help promote a relaxing and refreshing experience during the hot summers days you guys have..

Next up, a 4 star hotel is badly needed in that area to supplement all that convention business and its delegates.
PCL Construction is the builder

lqBkGXMA-scaled.jpeg

It doesn’t look like the east side as we saw it in the elevation diagrams is actually the east side as it will be in relation to the street. It’s a very small frontage, and looks like it allows for the inclusion of either a retail/restaurant bay or a primary point of ingress and egress for the convention centre. Either way, not terrible.

Last edited:

Back