BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

I don’t know, kind of iffy on the design. Not a big fan of the way it interacts on the east side towards the festive street. It might just turn out to be cold and unfriendly for pedestrians for a large part of the year, I hope I’m wrong.

I kind of like the original schematic design, but I love the addition of copper-ish colors. Desperately need to get rid of the stampeditecture in front! ?

I'm going to think of this for a while. But right off the bat, I'm thinking there was a missed opportunity to engage the roof, and maybe even provide a partial green roof with some sliced in terraces etc. I don't know, just musing + thinking about the Vancouver Convention Centre. (I know it's a different climate, but...)
vancouver-convention-centre-green-roof.jpg

A green roof would be cool. On the other hand, I love the copper roof, it's probably my favorite aspect.

I'll have to think about the design some more, but for most part I like it. Nice to see a departure from the previous types of architecture.

A green roof would be cool. On the other hand, I love the copper roof, it's probably my favorite aspect.

I'll have to think about the design some more, but for most part I like it. Nice to see a departure from the previous types of architecture.
If you wait long enough a copper roof can be a green roof

Will this actually be copper? If so, I consider it a big disappointment. Sunalta LRT station looked brilliant and gleaming just like these BMO Centre renders do. That lasted for a few years and now it looks brown and very industrial. Not a big issue for a small LRT station but I think that brown industrial will look horrible on the scale of the BMO Centre. When I first saw the renderings I was hoping it would be wood paneling similar to Le Germain downtown. Hopefully they at least use something other than copper.

I also agree with the other posters who mentioned that it looks like the facility turns its back on the Olympic Way Festival Street. The renderings make it look like a big, blank back of house style wall. I was expecting better from CMLC given their plans for the area.

As far as convention centres go, this is a very good design IMO. It looks more like an arena than a large boxy convention centre, which is a good thing. To me it's a mix of the Barclays Centre and Rogers Place. I also like how the design differs from the other recent projects in the area (NCL, NMC).

I also agree with the other posters who mentioned that it looks like the facility turns its back on the Olympic Way Festival Street. The renderings make it look like a big, blank back of house style wall. I was expecting better from CMLC given their plans for the area.

It definitely does, the only saving grace is that the east facade doesn't run true north/south and it leaves room for a development parcel along Olympic Way that would hopefully block it from sight.

Not a fan of the pointy corners, but I have a feeling the actual build will look better than the renders.

Back