News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

way more fugly going on all over the place and dont see this needs retail

14 St SW is a prime location for the development of a main street. The majority of the blocks along the west side of the street already contain retail or public amenities. The library, South Calgary Park, Marda Loop community centre, and now CSpace have created a major centre of gravity that should be served by mixed-use development. At the moment this area of South Calgary and Mount Royal are largely car-dependent but could easily be transformed into car-free neighborhoods with sufficient mixed-use development along 14th.

I don’t have an issue with the look of the building so much as the missed retail opportunity.
Other challenges (not the developers fault) include the broken street wall as a result of the alley emptying onto 14th Street. More problematic is the large-lot, single-family home protected land-uses on the east side of 14th Street for the whole length of Mount Royal, preventing much hope of the street to ever effectively develop as an effective, double-sided pedestrian friendly retail corridor at this location.

Further challenges to retail are the limited permeability near the site through Mount Royal due to the broken grid and the Mount Royal traffic calming measures preventing access to the east, that in essence created a publicly-funded quasi-gated community at very low density that will undermine retail viability along the street.

Given all that, I think it is a missed opportunity for retail, however I can sympathize that this might not be the best location. An excellent boost in density and multi-family availability is a good thing though, and will help retail elsewhere be more viable (such as the new development right next door).

Other challenges (not the developers fault) include the broken street wall as a result of the alley emptying onto 14th Street. More problematic is the large-lot, single-family home protected land-uses on the east side of 14th Street for the whole length of Mount Royal, preventing much hope of the street to ever effectively develop as an effective, double-sided pedestrian friendly retail corridor at this location.

Further challenges to retail are the limited permeability near the site through Mount Royal due to the broken grid and the Mount Royal traffic calming measures preventing access to the east, that in essence created a publicly-funded quasi-gated community at very low density that will undermine retail viability along the street.

Given all that, I think it is a missed opportunity for retail, however I can sympathize that this might not be the best location. An excellent boost in density and multi-family availability is a good thing though, and will help retail elsewhere be more viable (such as the new development right next door).

If that mixed-use development gets built on the east side of 19th st NW (in West Hillhurst), I'll have hope of a similar foothold opening up in Mount Royal. I was speaking with someone from the City at the latest Marda Loop mainstreets consultation session, and they seem to be looking at allowing for intensification of the east side of 14th street, with the possibility of retail.

Would love to see some multi-family on the east side of 14St, would be the ultimate NIMBY battle with the CA though.
It could very well be a battle, or we could get lucky and residents of Mount Royal might embrace it. Right now the houses on 14th are mostly small bungalows and some of them are in bad shape. This could be sold to Mount Royal as a chance to spruce up that part of the neighborhood.

Longtime lurker, I've been meaning to create an account, finally created one today!

So, does anyone know if there any plans for an underpass at 11th st?

I haven’t heard of any plans for an underpass,. It would be nice, but i suspect it’s more difficult than it sounds.

Chinook arch from SSP?

Longtime lurker, I've been meaning to create an account, finally created one today!

So, does anyone know if there any plans for an underpass at 11th st?
I have a friend who lives in Stella and gets super annoyed whenever the train blocks 11th street, so she always calls 311 when it happens. They told her there are no current intentions at the moment of creating an underpass on 11th. In fact, the next underpass will be 6th Street SE.

Yeah the next underpass is another connecting EV and EVP. I dug through the city's website about a month ago to find any mention of an 11 street underpass, and didn't find a scrap of info.

It could very well be a battle, or we could get lucky and residents of Mount Royal might embrace it. Right now the houses on 14th are mostly small bungalows and some of them are in bad shape. This could be sold to Mount Royal as a chance to spruce up that part of the neighborhood.
14 St is a major artery which is on the border of Mount Royal. I don't now how residents of that community should even have that much of a say. If you bought a house just east of 14th, you had to expect that there would be future development along there at some point.

That’s what I’ve heard too. I’m kind of okay with 11th being an at grade crossing, but it would be nice if those parking lots disappeared and it was a bit nicer.
I have a friend who lives in Stella and gets super annoyed whenever the train blocks 11th street, so she always calls 311 when it happens. They told her there are no current intentions at the moment of creating an underpass on 11th. In fact, the next underpass will be 6th Street SE.

I'm sure it would be the same arguments we always see in established communities, too tall, would cause too much traffic, would lower property values....

Back