News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

I think the most interesting thing at CPC next week is Sofina Food's application to move the Lilydale slaughterhouse from Ramsay to a new location in Shepard. Once that's done, it not only opens up a nice infill redevelopment site, but also makes the whole southern half of Ramsay a lot more pleasant without the smells and dust and traffic of chicken packing.
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=71205

It would be nice if the developer could re-utilize the existing building somehow. It's kind of nice when an area keeps it's 'industrial feel' to it.

Proposed Infill in Parkhill. Thoughts if this was your community? Is MODA respected?

One neighbor is very much against it for the reasons posted below (we received a flyer). I did my best to paraphrase my neighbors intent, as he/she posted very lengthy statements, and I could of misinterpreted something. I should also state I don't necessary agree/disagree with them, but am interested in peoples thoughts. Some of their reasons do seem inappropriate to be concerned about to me.

-"3-plex" (2 units plus a basement suite) with only 2 parking spots
-Parking spots come off back ally at a "difficult spot" in the ally to navigate when filled with snow / not possible to access
-congested service bins (i.e. recycling) from current 3 to 9
-potential structural concerns to neighbors houses when new infill is constructed or trees are removed (no information regarding the person who wrote this, and if they have the qualification to make that statement)
-removal of mature trees from lot
-rental unit- therefore owner only benefits himself (not sure how this matters) and not the community. Also, units like this will increase foot traffic community wide increasing crime
-reduces green-space - significantly impacts the community landscape if this sets precedent
infill PH.jpeg

Thoughts for this in Park Hill?

Last edited:
My own personal thoughts are that I would be happy to have something built by Moda in the neighborhood. Chances are something will get built there eventually, and it could be something rather bland.

Looks to me like the usual Nimby type complaints. As far as the architect goes, they're lucky it's MODA and not just any average joe. I like MODA's work, so maybe I'm biased. Someone should tell the person complaining that having a MODA next door is a good conversation piece, in a way a piece of art is. They can tell people visitors who are looking over the place 'It's a MODA'.

Proposed Infill in Parkhill. Thoughts if this was your community? Is MODA respected?

One neighbor is very much against it for the reasons posted below (we received a flyer). I did my best to paraphrase my neighbors intent, as he/she posted very lengthy statements, and I could of misinterpreted something. I should also state I don't necessary agree/disagree with them, but am interested in peoples thoughts. Some of their reasons do seem inappropriate to be concerned about to me.

-Parking spots come off back ally at a "difficult spot" in the ally to navigate when filled with snow / not possible to access
-potential structural concerns to neighbors houses when new infill is constructed or trees are removed (no information regarding the person who wrote this, and if they have the qualification to make that statement)
-rental unit- therefore owner only benefits himself (not sure how this matters) and not the community. Also, units like this will increase foot traffic community wide increasing crime
-reduces green-space - significantly impacts the community landscape if this sets precedent
View attachment 163359

Thoughts for this in Park Hill?

The adjacent lot to the west (SE corner of 16th and Edmonton Trail) has a planning notice on it for a gas station/car wash.

There’s a rendering on site now too - which I would say just came this week.
Yeah, the color ones are new for sure. The black and white one was from Gravity Architecture's site and had the name Harmony on it, but no info about the project.

My thoughts:

-"3-plex" (2 units plus a basement suite) with only 2 parking spots - If this was a block where most homes have no garage/driveway then I think it's worth being mindful if you densify to the point that residents won't be able to ever park near their home, but it looks like almost every residence on that block has a garage or alley parking.
-Parking spots come off back ally at a "difficult spot" in the ally to navigate when filled with snow / not possible to access - Can't really comment on this
-congested service bins (i.e. recycling) from current 3 to 9 - This one might have some merit, is there room to store 9 bins, set out 6 at once, and provide parking/access to parking all at the same time? I'm unsure about that from the drawings. It seems like this plan is very similar to the existing 3837 Parkhill St.
-potential structural concerns to neighbors houses when new infill is constructed or trees are removed (no information regarding the person who wrote this, and if they have the qualification to make that statement) - Trees are removed all the time, I don't think this is a valid complaint
-removal of mature trees from lot - Suggest developer plant new trees
-rental unit- therefore owner only benefits himself (not sure how this matters) and not the community. Also, units like this will increase foot traffic community wide increasing crime - should "increase foot traffic community wide increasing crime" be my new avatar?
-reduces green-space - significantly impacts the community landscape if this sets precedent - I don't think private lawns are typically considered green-space

I know exactly where that spot is. It would be nice to see something of this scale go into that location. 24th ave has a few decent little multi-family projects u/c. 4-6 unit type stuff, but it's a good start to creating a decent urban corridor someday. Especially if 24 that can get an overpass over Crowchild and straight into the U.

Back