News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I thought I’d share this pic I snapped from Rotary Park. Apparently it looks exactly the same as Daemon’s potato camera photos according to the experts at SSP :rolleyes:.

Lol, yeah not too surprising though. When the only posters left are Damon, Suburbia, Deepstar and Bad Grizzly, you know you're in trouble.

I can't find the thread for the PBA Land hotel on 5th Avenue, but this tidbit was in the latest David Parker article, found here:
http://calgaryherald.com/business/c...dds-another-school-to-its-education-portfolio

"On Thursday, Patricia Phillips, CEO of PBA Land & Development and her senior vice-president, Andrew Boblin, will be joined by Calgary Economic Development CEO Mary Moran, Tourism Calgary CEO Cindy Ady, and Arjun Channa, general manager of the Westin hotel and representing the Calgary Hotel Association, as ground will be broken on 525 5th Avenue S.W. It will herald a construction start by EllisDon of The Dorian Hotel, a 27-storey structure that will offer 120 Autograph Collection and 180 Courtyard by Marriott rooms."

Also from this article was this piece of information. Anyone know where on 85th Street this Slokker project is planned?
"Here they have been kept busy with major client Slokker Homes. Lear recently completed 160 condos and 44 townhomes at Currie and has other Slokker developments underway in Airdrie and Cochrane. Slokker is also planning its largest townhouse development of 800 units in Aspen on the west side of 85th Street S.W."

Lol, yeah not too surprising though. When the only posters left are Damon, Suburbia, Deepstar and Bad Grizzly, you know you're in trouble.

It's a shame what happened to that site, but if you're going to have a group of people in one place to keep each other occupied so they dont bother anyone, those are pretty much the ones you want.

I am very surprised by 525 5th Avenue S.W., though I guess it is outside of the new convention centre gravity well so has to stand on its own merit. Will be the closest hotel to the court house - lawyer acquaintances who recently have become used to the Fairfield Inn and suites in the Beltline will have another close reasonable option.

They've been calling for construction of the Fifth Avenue Marriott for ages. I will believe it once I see it, but this is very hopeful news. Another surface lot in the core biting the dust. :)

It's a shame what happened to that site, but if you're going to have a group of people in one place to keep each other occupied so they dont bother anyone, those are pretty much the ones you want.
That how I look at it. It’s a shame the site went to crap, but it’s also the way things go on the internet. So many sites that were good on the internet are crap now.
The good people have left SSP and are here now anyway, so as long as those guys stay there, that’s great. Anyhow, enough talk about SSP and it’s demise, sounds like we have a new hotel going up.
I’ve heard predictions before, but this one seems legit. Good news if that’s the case.

Last edited:
Surprised that a new hotel would go forward dt given the more market. Then again, Phillips is a well managed and conservatively finance company. I wouldn't be surprised if this is self financed.

I was in the Calgary area for 2 weeks and was shocked at how much hotel rates have declined.

Yeahh, Calgary's not exactly a vacation destination as much as Vancouver or Vegas might be lol.
I'm sure they still need some hotels for business and Stampede week though.
Glad to hear they're most likely doing this one.

I wonder where on 85th that 800 unit condo would go since I’m fairly certain Aspen is fully built out on the west side. East of 85th would make more sense.

I can't find the thread for the PBA Land hotel on 5th Avenue, but this tidbit was in the latest David Parker article, found here:
http://calgaryherald.com/business/c...dds-another-school-to-its-education-portfolio

"On Thursday, Patricia Phillips, CEO of PBA Land & Development and her senior vice-president, Andrew Boblin, will be joined by Calgary Economic Development CEO Mary Moran, Tourism Calgary CEO Cindy Ady, and Arjun Channa, general manager of the Westin hotel and representing the Calgary Hotel Association, as ground will be broken on 525 5th Avenue S.W. It will herald a construction start by EllisDon of The Dorian Hotel, a 27-storey structure that will offer 120 Autograph Collection and 180 Courtyard by Marriott rooms."

Also from this article was this piece of information. Anyone know where on 85th Street this Slokker project is planned?
"Here they have been kept busy with major client Slokker Homes. Lear recently completed 160 condos and 44 townhomes at Currie and has other Slokker developments underway in Airdrie and Cochrane. Slokker is also planning its largest townhouse development of 800 units in Aspen on the west side of 85th Street S.W."

Looks like the Mikey's Juke Joint site in Sunalta is up for sale.

http://www.collierscanada.com/24449#.WwxL3e4vyUk

It's a great location and I would love to see 10th Ave through Sunalta become redeveloped. However, sad to see Mikey's go as its a great spot which the city is losing a lot of these days. I wonder what a developer would try here. Given that its on 10th Ave, they could probably go 6-8 stories?

IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_8700.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_8700.JPG
    IMG_8700.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 368
Per the Sunalta ARP, it is planned as `Medium High Density Residential, which allows up to 20 meters in height.
upload_2018-5-28_22-13-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-28_22-13-21.png
    upload_2018-5-28_22-13-21.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 384

It's a great location and I would love to see 10th Ave through Sunalta become redeveloped. However, sad to see Mikey's go as its a great spot which the city is losing a lot of these days. I wonder what a developer would try here. Given that its on 10th Ave, they could probably go 6-8 stories?
There is a new Mikey's on 12 Ave where the Blind Monk used to be.

If I were the developer, I would try for at least 10 floors, and hope for 6-8. 6-8 stories is very reasonable given the location.

Back