News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

The fencing is fairly recent, but there are no pending permits for that parcel. Not sure what's going on there.
I don't know what any of these projects are, but I passed by them all the time and I thought it might as well take some pictures. These are all on Center Street between 40th Ave. and 32nd ave.
View attachment 110530

I was going through my files containing past opportunities in the form of RFP's. I came across one that was a no go
for us. It was for 8 affordable housing units to be proposed along 16th Avenue, between 4A Street and 9th Street N.W., adjacent to the 16th Avenue sound wall.
I'm not sure if the RFP (design build) was awarded yet. A very challenging series of sites.
Rosedale-aerial.jpg

Attachments

• Rosedale-aerial.jpg
    Rosedale-aerial.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 458
I, for one, don't care for how this turned out at all. It misses on so many marks. The overall design is a trashy interpretation. The colours are just awful. It's set too far back from the street and the arcade isn't very welcoming.
The setbacks are city policy, some nice landscaping should help a bit too. Anyone know what's going into this building?

I was going through my files containing past opportunities in the form of RFP's. I came across one that was a no go
for us. It was for 8 affordable housing units to be proposed along 16th Avenue, between 4A Street and 9th Street N.W., adjacent to the 16th Avenue sound wall.
I'm not sure if the RFP (design build) was awarded yet. A very challenging series of sites.
View attachment 110580
Here is a link to the City's website on the project:
http://www.calgary.ca/CS/OLSH/Pages...e-Housing-Development.aspx?redirect=/rosedale

Looks like they are still looking for a designer.

While I can't explain all of your concerns with this project, I can confirm that it is set so far back from the street because of the 5.182m bylaw setback for Edmonton Trail. All new projects, between 16th Ave and 5th Avenue, are required to be this far back from their property line. It was originally intended to allow for two additional lanes of traffic to be built, but since the CTP that is no longer going to happen.

Unfortunately, the City hasn't articulated a clear plan on what to do with the setback area, nor have they confirmed they no longer need it, so all projects on streets with these setbacks will continue to be pushed back from the street, with usually a dead lawn space all that is allowed in between.

There should be a bunch of planners as dedicated to removing garbage policies like this - as boring and as technical as they are - as there are passionately designing cycle tracks, park space, and major infrastructure projects. It's a small rule, but so overlooked it has physical, long-lasting and needlessly negative impact to the urban form. It's not just Edmonton Trail either, most roads have weird rules like this that do more to influence development outcomes than any area redevelopment plan.

There should be a bunch of planners as dedicated to removing garbage policies like this - as boring and as technical as they are - as there are passionately designing cycle tracks, park space, and major infrastructure projects. It's a small rule, but so overlooked it has physical, long-lasting and needlessly negative impact to the urban form. It's not just Edmonton Trail either, most roads have weird rules like this that do more to influence development outcomes than any area redevelopment plan.
I couldn't agree more. However there just seems to be zero appetite to tackle this particular project (bylawed setback table, Section 53 of the LUB) for some reason. Despite the "Main Streets" project being the perfect opportunity, as many of the streets line up. However, I believe the Main Streets project didn't incorporate it in any way. Extremely frustrating.

Exactly. The project on Edmonton Trail and the one on 14th street are perfect examples.

Nice find, I haven't been that way in a while. I don't necessarily think there's a problem with the pathway as it exists right now in that stretch. It's broad and pleasant, but I'm not going to say no to an upgrade. I look forward to rolling/walking through it in the future. I'm hoping it will interact more smoothly with the Peace Bridge too.

I really like the full path of benches, very "big city" New York kind of thing. Calgary's stingy-ness on benches - and tendency to use inhumane anti-lying down ones - are a big pet peeve that looks like it is being addressed. The delta garden I am less interested in, I think it feels over programmed and too fancy (i.e. not comfortable). I would have liked to see something a little more gentle, with more informal spaces and lawns and less of the meandering, pretty, quaint pathways that are all the rage in landscape planning these days. I think the Riverwalk is a big miss for very much the same reason. Sure it's nice and clean, but the path is narrow, the connections to the surround city like Chinatown are ignored. It's the museum-fication of public parks. Looks pretty but you don't feel comfortable lounging around and taking ownership of the public space.

With my complaint registered, I do feel overall its a nice upgrade despite some concerns.

I just read the "what we heard" reports from the City with regard to the two proposed developments for Marda Loop (http://engage.calgary.ca/altamarda?redirect=/altamarda). It's so demoralizing. It seems the NIMBYs have been out in full force attempting to preserve the 1950's suburban character of the neighborhood. I had hoped that people might welcome additional retail, but the report suggest that the vast majority of people wanted 33rd ave to remain exclusively low-rise residential. It's the standard small-minded, NIMBY BS: too much traffic, not enough parking, too many people using the parks, etc. Lots of talk about keeping things "family-friendly", which is really just a weasel word for no poor people. You really get a sense of just how misanthropic the average person is.

I just read the "what we heard" reports from the City with regard to the two proposed developments for Marda Loop (http://engage.calgary.ca/altamarda?redirect=/altamarda). It's so demoralizing. It seems the NIMBYs have been out in full force attempting to preserve the 1950's suburban character of the neighborhood. I had hoped that people might welcome additional retail, but the report suggest that the vast majority of people wanted 33rd ave to remain exclusively low-rise residential. It's the standard small-minded, NIMBY BS: too much traffic, not enough parking, too many people using the parks, etc. Lots of talk about keeping things "family-friendly", which is really just a weasel word for no poor people. You really get a sense of just how misanthropic the average person is.

Trying to keep out all those "poor" people in their $350K - $500K condos is a classic rich home-owner move. Imagine if they learned a full 20% of the Canadian population can't afford to be part of the housing market - as owners or renters - at all? Wowzers.

Nice find, I haven't been that way in a while. I don't necessarily think there's a problem with the pathway as it exists right now in that stretch. It's broad and pleasant, but I'm not going to say no to an upgrade. I look forward to rolling/walking through it in the future. I'm hoping it will interact more smoothly with the Peace Bridge too.

The renderings are promising. It looks to be an improvement on the Riverwalk which left me a little disappointed. I had hoped for a more urban minded design being on the edge of downtown. The area around the Simmons building is a little closer to what I have in mind but, the random placements of the benches don't encourage conversation and they take of a whack space that could be used for other activities. The Riverwalk is a great improvement. It's pretty to walk along or rest for a while but, there's little there to get you to stay.

Back