Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Conservative nature of Province

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • School in other cities

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

? Richard White should just change his name to "O. K. Boomer". It's not that he's necessarily wrong all the time, it's more that his articles often sound like he spent about 10 minutes thinking about a topic, did 2 google searches, and then hit "send" to the CBC. Every single member of SkyriseCalgary is better informed and has more sophisticated opinions about city building than he does.

I would argue that the UCP will scare away a generation if they don't stop their attacks on Healthcare, Education, the Arts and the environment. What tech firm wants to move here when the government is going scorched earth on everything outside of one declining industry? If they ever succeed in privatizing healthcare I'm leaving this province.

Unfortunately I'll almost certainly be leaving after I graduate. I would love to be part of the revival of Calgary, but if we are just going to keep shooting ourselves in the foot (or shooting ourselves basically in the face in this case) by electing these UCP fuckshits, there's no point in sticking around to watch the province die.

Sounds like we need good people to stay here instead of leaving the city to the dumb UCP types...
This has been an issue forever. Alberta is the only province with more males than females. ( not counting territories here ). Most women I know are here in a supporting role to their husbands work. I love Alberta, but damn. It’s not women friendly. I struggle to find much that would entice younger women move here.

That's fair, strengthens my point though. Instead of having everyone leave because what they are looking for isn't here, how about people create what they want to see in Alberta? I'm not sure about the numbers, but I bet there are as many, if not more women in University in Calgary compared to men. This city is at a tipping point, do we put all of our energy and resources into Kenny's "war room" and keep fighting for what's dying, or do we put our energy into the future and try to keep people here and not become Winnipeg.

This has been an issue forever. Alberta is the only province with more males than females. ( not counting territories here ). Most women I know are here in a supporting role to their husbands work. I love Alberta, but damn. It’s not women friendly. I struggle to find much that would entice younger women move here.
Because O&G and construction are so prevalent it would make sense that there would be more males than females. In northern Alberta the ratio seems like 3 men to every women....I don't know the stats, but that's what it feels like.

Because O&G and construction are so prevalent it would make sense that there would be more males than females. In northern Alberta the ratio seems like 3 men to every women....I don't know the stats, but that's what it feels like.
Males outnumber females significantly in the North. But they also outnumber in Calgary. When I still lived in the Yukon, it was 10 to 1, and it caused a lot of social issues.
Most of the high wage jobs Alberta have significant barriers to entry for Females. Both physically AND socially.

Males outnumber females significantly in the North. But they also outnumber in Calgary. When I still lived in the Yukon, it was 10 to 1, and it caused a lot of social issues.
Most of the high wage jobs Alberta have significant barriers to entry for Females. Both physically AND socially.
You said it yourself. That it makes sense there are more males than females due to oil and gas and construction. Work for men. Why would young women pick here over elsewhere? Our developing tech industry also largely favours a male base. I don’t know the solution, but I can see the problem.

I would also say young men as well are not pursuing trades nor heavy labour work. Nor wanting to participate in the constant boom and bust cycle of work here. I don’t know the answer. Alberta is SO entrenched in its ways. To the detriment of its future.

You said it yourself. That it makes sense there are more males than females due to oil and gas and construction. Work for men. Why would young women pick here over elsewhere? Our developing tech industry also largely favours a male base. I don’t know the solution, but I can see the problem.
Just to be clear though, the numbers that males outnumber females in the 15-64 age group is not that huge of a difference 15 to 64 years 978,150 Male 490,645 Female 487,505, and it's actually a lot bigger difference between the two group in the 0-14 age group, 0 to 14 years 261,455 Male 134,160 Female 127,295 which has nothing to do with jobs. Looking at my former hometown of Winnipeg a non-tech and and non Oil and Gas city, and the numbers are surprisingly close to Calgary's when you look at the number for people under 64, and especially under 40, almost exactly the same as Calgary. Where Winnipeg, and all other cities in Canada gain in female populations is the 64 and up age group, where women heavily dominate. Calgary has a lower proportion of 64 and over age group compared to other cities.

I looked at a few other cities, Regina, Edmonton, Hamilton and Toronto, and I see a pattern men outnumbering women in the younger ages, but it switches to women in the older ages groups. Toronto is a bit of an outlier, with a larger amount of females in the 35 and up range, but surprisingly the numbers and that far off from Calgary's.
I think you could attribute the difference in Calgary to construction almost alone, as the numbers aren't radically different than other Canadian cities when looking at the the age groups 55 and down. In fact I would say there are probably more women in my office which is an oil and gas company. Out in the filed, yes, our employee base is almost all men.

Last edited:
Just to be clear though, the numbers that males outnumber females in the 15-64 age group is not that huge of a difference 15 to 64 years 978,150 Male 490,645 Female 487,505, and it's actually a lot bigger difference between the two group in the 0-14 age group, 0 to 14 years 261,455 Male 134,160 Female 127,295 which has nothing to do with jobs. Looking at my former hometown of Winnipeg a non-tech and and non Oil and Gas city, and the numbers are surprisingly close to Calgary's when you look at the number for people under 64, and especially under 40, almost exactly the same as Calgary. Where Winnipeg, and all other cities in Canada gain in female populations is the 64 and up age group, where women heavily dominate. Calgary has a lower proportion of 64 and over age group compared to other cities.

Look at the 3 year data. It’s shocking. 0-4 age group down over 9%. 20-24 down, 25-34 down. Older 60-70+ up. That young population is disappearing.

Back