News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Water main break discussion

Sounds like another week of water restrictions at least. Crazy to hear how many people refuse to adjust levels and are mad at Council "overreach". I talked to a few people on the weekend who said they were going to use more water to show there is no issue. People are getting silly with anti-government stuff these days.
The city isn't seen as an essential service provider that had a major piece of infrastructure failure. They're seen as that council and mayor who are trying to tell me how much water to use. They have no idea their privilege and all the benefits of living in this city. Making all government the enemy will come back on these people, as some are likely to be the first ones that will suffer under a services reduction government.

The city isn't seen as an essential service provider that had a major piece of infrastructure failure. They're seen as that council and mayor who are trying to tell me how much water to use. They have no idea their privilege and all the benefits of living in this city. Making all government the enemy will come back on these people, as some are likely to be the first ones that will suffer under a services reduction government.
Somehow, between universal quality of life improvements and the brain poisoning of the algorithms, there are a bunch of people out there who don't seem to understand that clean running water, pasteurization, vaccination and so on are massive public health infrastructure achievements that we all stand on - and the same for all of our other infrastructure. I'd love for the people who don't seem to understand that they live in a society to get a chance to live somewhere that actually doesn't have a society for a few years; the survivors might appreciate the benefits more.

It's an interesting time we live in. Most people seem on board with conserving water so we can get through this, but I have run across people who aren't conserving, and have been open about it. One person is plainly selfish and has said he won't cutback. Another person has nom plans to cutback because "the city is lying about the numbers to try and scare people, so they can take their time fixing it". :(

In general, every time I've gone past the nearby carwash (3 or 4 times in the past 5 days) there are people washing their cars.

I wonder if society has always been like this? I have the impression that in the past people pulled together more to get through issues like this.

Unfortunately, it will take a catastrophic event for most people to come together; I'm talking worse than the recent pandemic we just went through. Whether it be a natural disaster (Fire/Flood or even a multi-state versus multi-state war). Even then there will be some holdouts who think it is all a conspiracy.

My neighbour was power washing his deck today. Can there be a worse case of selfish water use?! I phoned 311 and reported him. Nobody wants to be a tattletale, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
If nobody calls out people for being selfish assholes, then there is nothing to get them to change. Calling 311 is absolutely the right way to go!

They are closing the north parking lot at Edworthy Park (right by Angels Cafe) and part of the bike path, I'm assuming this is part of that. The city built a new pump station right there a couple years ago, wonder if the damage happened as part of that.

3-5 weeks is going to require some major restrictions if people are already flaunting the rules. This is going to make for an interesting summer...

Not to mention it’ll overlap with Stampede. I’m not sure what the consumption levels are during previous Stampedes but with so many extra people in the city, it’s got to be substantially higher.

Back