News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm fairly certain the London Drugs/Dollarama site on 8th St SW and 17th Ave was originally supposed to be a Landmark Cinema back in the day. For whatever reason it never came to be. Landmark still doesn't have an inner city location. Cineplex will likely rebuild a new theatre at Eau Claire following the demolition of the existing building for Green Line construction so a site at 17th Ave and 4th St for Landmark would be ideal. I think the inner city could support two movie theatres now, especially with the more boutique VIP format becoming popular.
It was actually the "Emerald Stone" site on the north side of 15th Avenue. Was to be an Alliance Atlantis cinema.. It fell through when the Alliance Atlantis chain was purchased by Famous Players (the ultimate company successor is Cineplex). The community association was supportive of the project.

Last edited:
Revisions of the DP for 1150 CENTRE ST SE (empty parking lot).
  • Two buildings ranging in height from 37 storey(s) (122 metres) to 19 storeys (70 metres)
  • A multi-residential development with 603 units
  • Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 12.14.30 AM.png

Revisions of the DP for 1150 CENTRE ST SE (empty parking lot).
  • Two buildings ranging in height from 37 storey(s) (122 metres) to 19 storeys (70 metres)
  • A multi-residential development with 603 units
  • View attachment 538485

Yeah, this is a pretty old proposal. From way back in 2016 (Revision in 2018). I don't think there's been any movement on it since the DP was approved.

Beltline_Exterior_Rendering_beltline_1.jpg

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/calgary-101-–-11th-avenue-se-120-09m-37s-oxford-properties-zeidler.25134

Last edited:
i really hope this one will come true, pls pls pls. and also the other one 1 block away from it.. something called portfolio

I'd also love to see the parkling lot north of the portfolio sites (south of DJD) go, it used to be owned by Gablecraft homes but I belive Surreal posted something about it being sold to a diferent developer a year or two ago.

I must say, the last few years have been nothing but disappointment with the Lougheed Building. There is so much potential there. Tenish years ago, the Grand Theatre was in full swing and all of the street facing retail units were occupied and offered great street presence. For the last 4 years all the retail has been closed with posters covering the windows. The building looks to be either in a permanent state of reno or almost abandoned. Allied seem to manage a bunch of the empty storefronts along Stephen Ave as well. They really don't seem to care about activating spaces and seem to be more about holding the line on rental prices and holding properties.

Back