News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Looks like the City of Calgary has put out an expression of interest to permanently activate the Historic Firehall #1 and NW Travellers building with arts, cultural and commercial components. Will be neat to see what ends up happening to these spaces as they're great character buildings.

It’s a pretty miserable, dark intersection though and rarely does that area for a patio get sunlight. A critical element for a successful patio in Calgary.

Nor would I desire to sit next to multiple lanes of heavy traffic idling.

Definitely reasons why no one has jumped at the chance to do something there cause the building is excellent.

Trying to decide between “Firehouse Brewhouse”, “Firehall Brewhall” or “Firehall Beerhall”.

I agree the building would be great for a restaurant but also agree the location isn’t.

I do miss the Enterprise. It was the most convenient car rental location for work.

Either way, it would be great to have some activity back in the building.

I’d really like to see firehall #6 on Memorial occupied by a restaurant or brewery.

Anyone know where the location of this building might be? Not a brewery but looks like a cool spot for this new distillery.

Got really bored and did some surfing around Google Maps and stumbled across what I believe to be this building. Looks like it is located at 3115 11 St SE.

The building looks cool but I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping it would be in an area that would be close to some of the other craft breweries/distilleries in the city or, at the very least, be easily accessible by transit, scooters or walking from one of those areas. Instead it's tucked up on the hill, isolated away in Highfield Industrial. I wish them success but this will be a destination where people won't accidentally stumble across it, they'll only go there if they already know about it and they'll have to go there by car. Still looking forward to checking out the building when it opens up next year.

It’s a pretty miserable, dark intersection though and rarely does that area for a patio get sunlight. A critical element for a successful patio in Calgary.

Definitely reasons why no one has jumped at the chance to do something there cause the building is excellent.
That building would be a fantastic pub/resto in any other location, especially it was in Bridgeland or Sunnyside, etc..

The article summarizes the report:

"The report recommends several major projects, along with what it calls “quick wins" such as temporary dog parks or other public spaces.

Lastly, it recommends a series of other improvements, such as lighting and path connections."

Maybe I follow things like this too close but how come the city's default to under utilized spaces is always dog parks and basketball courts? Is it only dog people and basketball players that give places vibrancy? I say this as both a dog owner and basketball player.
I think the plan will be pretty quickly forgotten. I did a quick skim and these project need to align with private development. No point in making a walkable street if no one will be walking there. There's some traction on 14 and 10 and hopefully it'll start moving East ward and south ward if the economy keeps up.

Has there been any plans for those waterfront dealerships? It's probably quite expensive, maybe in a lower interest environment?

Definitely not the most attractive intersection, but adding a lane of parking with the pedestrian bumpouts at the corners (something all of 6 Ave shoud have) would go a long way. That space gets decent sun in the summer, wouldn't take much to make it an attractive patio.

Definitely not the most attractive intersection, but adding a lane of parking with the pedestrian bumpouts at the corners (something all of 6 Ave shoud have) would go a long way. That space gets decent sun in the summer, wouldn't take much to make it an attractive patio.
This is one of those addition by subtraction things common with car-dominated spaces - the intersection could become anything really, but likely only after if we remove at least 1 or 2 lanes of traffic flow and the associated noise and safety issues on southbound MacLeod S and westbound 6th Avenue and replaced it with things that actually support people hanging out in the area (e.g. high quality street trees, patios, on-street parking etc.)

In the morning. So maybe a breakfast patio.

I agree, but the back lot of the Fire Hall actually gets a good amount of sun, especially in the afternoon. That would be a great spot. I’ve always wanted a large brewpub to go there. I think it would be a hit. No point in turning the back lot into parking when the Bow has like a thousand spaces. This would fit what? 6 cars?

Yaaaas kween! Werk 💅🏼

Seriously though, that would be an AMAZING spot for a gay pub. Literally a bunch of giant, anatomically correct, naked statues right across the street too. Absolutely perfect.

Back