News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The issue doesn't seem to be the actual development but the road that will connect into this part of Riverbend. It's interesting a part of the community that has been dead quiet for its existence will now be a new entrance to at least this section of the community. That does really change how those people have lived there.

Does the city have to connect the community to 24th Street? The community doesn't seem to be asking for it or interested in it. Granted the person in the story is one voice so maybe people really do want vehicle access to 24th Street.

The traffic circle exit could just give access to these new developments while pedestrian and wheel access could be enabled so if Riverbend residents wanted to walk or wheel to the Green Line stop they can.

1693495710753.png

That part of Riverbend was always intended to connect to 24st, and actually was for a couple years in the late late 90s or early 2000s, but residents complained about traffic and the road was blocked off again. Anyone that lives there knew this would happen one day and I have zero sympathy for them.

That part of Riverbend was always intended to connect to 24st, and actually was for a couple years in the late late 90s or early 2000s, but residents complained about traffic and the road was blocked off again. Anyone that lives there knew this would happen one day and I have zero sympathy for them.
Whether they knew it was coming or not. Is it necessary?

The issue doesn't seem to be the actual development but the road that will connect into this part of Riverbend. It's interesting a part of the community that has been dead quiet for its existence will now be a new entrance to at least this section of the community. That does really change how those people have lived there.

Does the city have to connect the community to 24th Street? The community doesn't seem to be asking for it or interested in it. Granted the person in the story is one voice so maybe people really do want vehicle access to 24th Street.

The traffic circle exit could just give access to these new developments while pedestrian and wheel access could be enabled so if Riverbend residents wanted to walk or wheel to the Green Line stop they can.

View attachment 503489

For what it's worth I don't think everyone in the community is against it, but the people who live directly on those streets have been pretty vocal they don't support it.

Yes, communities should have more than 2 entrances. Hell, before Quarry Park went in, there was only 1 way to get into Riverbend.
I grew up going to Riverbend and commuted through there while going to school once Quarry Park went in. I never found the traffic bad or thought another entrance was needed. I think a vehicle entrance here is a nice to have for some but in all actuality isn't really necessary. Is essence this east part of Riverbend acts as a super block because there is no way to shortcut through the community. I see what the residents are saying but maybe I'm biased:

I live in Garrison Woods and the Flanders Ave interchange gives people the opportunity to shortcut through the community to 20th Street. It sucks, people don't do 30km/h through the playground zones (where my family's kids play), drivers roll through the stop sign at Passchendaele Ave and Passchendaele Road (where I've almost been hit numerous times going straight on Passchendaele Road in a car and on my bike), and the intersection of 20th Street and Passchendaele Ave is not built to handle the amount of traffic it does at peak drive times.

I just think we need better connectivity between neighbourhoods and should stop relying on feeder roads. I lived in Riverbend and Douglas Glen and on days where there was an accident on Glenmore or Deerfoot, both would have their feeder roads completely gridlocked. If more roads connect through, then the pressure is taken off the primary roads and people can still move around.

I just think we need better connectivity between neighbourhoods and should stop relying on feeder roads. I lived in Riverbend and Douglas Glen and on days where there was an accident on Glenmore or Deerfoot, both would have their feeder roads completely gridlocked. If more roads connect through, then the pressure is taken off the primary roads and people can still move around.
Edit: I agree we need better connectivity between neighbourhoods. In this specific example, I don't think vehicle connectivity is the answer to the isolated communities problem.

To me what you've said is even more of a reason to be against this.

Collisions happen. There are times vehicles will not be able to get somewhere in the time they expected when they started the journey. I think it would be a mistake to download traffic from feeder roads on to this road:

1693513076465.png

It's probably not a big deal either way (open/closed/pedestrian only) but generally network connectivity is a good thing - if it’s designed right. Make every non arterial have friction so cars are discouraged, go slow and a secondary users if space, but not necessarily fully restricted.

That’s my ideal plan - here’s the reality.

A 60m in diameter traffic circle with redundant higher speed slip lanes and a road width and lane geometry that makes little sense unless you’re goal to to use more asphalt than you need to.

Inexplicably, the short connection being proposed is wider than the existing road it connects to. This serves no purpose other than to slightly encourage faster car speeds for like half a block and spend more with your asphalt supplier.

Most of this is including the traffic circle is already built, pretty much none of this is transit oriented of course, despite multiple references in the article.

So yeah - add the connection. Or don’t. That’s the tree - the focus should be on forest.

If we are concerned about vehicle traffic, speeds and danger, the hypothetical connections are the least of the issues here.
1693509722030.png

According to DOPs Instagram they are no longer moving locations in December.

So I guess whatever was supposed to be going on that site is either delayed or cancelled.
Apparently, all tenants were offered to stay for another year. This seems odd given that Gallery is sold out, and was supposed to have occupancy in 2026, which would be a short timeline if they don't start till November 2024.

Back