News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The parkade is the foundation for the building, how can you build the parkade without accounting for the future loading above. There would need to be some transfer beams or slabs, depending on the column layout, but the parkade structure is designed to support the future building. It would likely have cost them more to try and phase it as you say.
That's what I'm saying, the parkade structure was not designed to support a future building.

The Bow South block parking garage was built to support the construction of the future building on top of it… of course. Theres literally no question. I'm surprised it's sparked such a long discussion, it's open and shut. That's how they built it, so that they could build the second phase.

I only know because at work I sat beside one of the engineers who worked on the parkade pre-covid, and at some point we had a similar discussion to this one. He pulled out the drawings and showed me and then pulled up construction photos.

That parkade doesn't have capacity for anything other than park benches, unfortunately.

Was it April 1st?

The Bow South block parking garage was built to support the construction of the future building on top of it… of course. Theres literally no question. I'm surprised it's sparked such a long discussion, it's open and shut. That's how they built it, so that they could build the second phase.

thats what seemed obvious all along, why would the bottom up build have been different across the floor plate.

Yes, this is right. MissingMiddle is wrong in the sense that it was built without any support.
If they mean that the parkade was constructed with support for the originally planned building, and that support will have to modified for any different building constructed, that is correct.
The building originally planned for the South Block I believe was 7 stories. The Enbridge tower H&R pursued would have been over 10, and would have required some reconfiguration of the parkade supports.

The City of Calgary and CMLC are doing a cool placemaking collaboration and Saturday concert series at the old FireHall No 1. Kick off is tomorrow. This site has a lot of potential so glad to see it getting some attention.

Yes, this is right. MissingMiddle is wrong in the sense that it was built without any support.
If they mean that the parkade was constructed with support for the originally planned building, and that support will have to modified for any different building constructed, that is correct.
The building originally planned for the South Block I believe was 7 stories. The Enbridge tower H&R pursued would have been over 10, and would have required some reconfiguration of the parkade supports.
The engineer who designed the structure of the parkade said it wasn't designed to support a future building, I'm sorry that's not enough.

But we'll end this discussion so we don't derail the thread anymore, take it how you will.

A DP for a suburban condo project in Springbank Hill (just south of Aspen Landing) goes to CPC next week.
Report: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=178051
DP plans and renderings:
1628866452832.png

1628866470794.png

1628866489938.png

1628866509732.png

isnt the lrt being extended to 85th st at some point?
At some point to right next to guardian angle school - a walk up stop. Plans could change depending on whether a very urban orientation would yield much better outcomes for the extra cost (of let’s say running up 85th’s emerging urban node). But there are no plans to examine that plan.

Back