News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Could they develop the south parcel into something mixed use? Or would the economics not be there?
Possibly. The large floorplates wouldn't be great for residential or hotel. Office or retail use is likely out of the question for the next few decades. Maybe it could support multiple residential towers on a shared podium.

We wont ever see the south parcel done, they'd have to dig up the parkade.
No they wouldn't. The parkade is built right up to grade, this site is ready to go whenever someone decides to do something there. All they would have to do is take off the gravel and benches and get to work. There would be some strata issues as the parkade spans under both sites, but I'm sure they could figure it out.

I wouldn't be so sure. The floorplate at least was conventional -- unlike first canadian centre 2.
No they wouldn't. The parkade is built right up to grade, this site is ready to go whenever someone decides to do something there. All they would have to do is take off the gravel and benches and get to work. There would be some strata issues as the parkade spans under both sites, but I'm sure they could figure it out.
I'm not sure you're understanding, the foundation for the building was never built, just the parkade.

If you want to build something on that site, it doesn't matter what the floorplate is, you can't do it without going back and fixing the substructure so it can carry the load.

I'm not sure you're understanding, the foundation for the building was never built, just the parkade.

If you want to build something on that site, it doesn't matter what the floorplate is, you can't do it without going back and fixing the substructure so it can carry the load.
Are you sure about that? I have never heard that before, and that would be very disappointing if that were true. It would essentially mean that parcel is sterilized.

Are you sure about that? I have never heard that before, and that would be very disappointing if that were true. It would essentially mean that parcel is sterilized.
I only know because at work I sat beside one of the engineers who worked on the parkade pre-covid, and at some point we had a similar discussion to this one. He pulled out the drawings and showed me and then pulled up construction photos.

That parkade doesn't have capacity for anything other than park benches, unfortunately.

I only know because at work I sat beside one of the engineers who worked on the parkade pre-covid, and at some point we had a similar discussion to this one. He pulled out the drawings and showed me and then pulled up construction photos.

That parkade doesn't have capacity for anything other than park benches, unfortunately.
Interesting, since the original plan was to put the York back on top with some offices above it. At some point during the process did the supports necessary to accomplish even that get scrapped?

Are you sure? H&R aggressively pursued Enbridge as a tenant for the south block.

its bad enough the city let them walk on the only component of the project that provided any value to the public but if what you say is true thats just appalling, criminal even.

The parkade is the foundation for the building, how can you build the parkade without accounting for the future loading above. There would need to be some transfer beams or slabs, depending on the column layout, but the parkade structure is designed to support the future building. It would likely have cost them more to try and phase it as you say.

Back