News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Tiny pathway, big grievances: Pathway changes prompt development angst

A tiny gravel footpath lined with lilac bushes, in West Hillhurst has become a focal point for area opposition to increasing development.

“It's like a monstrosity sitting on the corner. And it is not, it's just not feasible," she said. "As I'm saying, they are ghettoizing our, our community”

“It's like a monstrosity sitting on the corner. And it is not, it's just not feasible," she said. "As I'm saying, they are ghettoizing our, our community”

The minute anyone drops the "g" word, they should be excluded from the debate. They've shown their true colours. As for the lane way, I think it's totally fair game for the community to give this development extra scrutiny. It does look like a nice feature of the neighbourhood and the developer should be pressured into treating it with care and respect rather than turning it into a parking lot.

Calgary, you've come a long way baby.

182605549_238171938064858_7547976683098411371_n.jpg

Know what year that was? Had no idea there was a small football “stadium” there.
Sometime around 1972 I reckon. The stadium in the foreground is the old Mawata stadium. The Stampeders played there before McMahon was built, and then it was used for high school football. Calgary had a couple of soccer teams that even played there just before the stadium got torn down.

Sometime around 1972 I reckon. The stadium in the foreground is the old Mawata stadium. The Stampeders played there before McMahon was built, and then it was used for high school football. Calgary had a couple of soccer teams that even played there just before the stadium got torn down.
The Len Werry building started construction in spring of 1973, and looks far into its build. I would say probably spring of 1975

Ugh would love to have a small outdoor stadium downtown again. Turning Mewata into a stupid skate park was a mistake. They should have just renovated the stadium. Would be a Perfect home for Cavalry FC.
It would be nice, but the skate park is well used, helps keep it secure. The stadium I’m not sure would have survived the West LRT. Went to a World Cup or gold cup qualifier there in the late 90s and it was nice but really old.

The skatepark is a much better use to me, always busy. The best decision they made when building millennium was to keep a large green space between the skate park and armoury, perfect spot for festivals downtown.
Are there any plans for a soccer / baseball venue in the McMahon area long term? A small stadium would definitely be nice!

Back