News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

My guess is that landscaping strips along hard services will only result in dead bushes and trees due to Calgary's arid climate and temperature swings. The pic posted of the inner city SW, is of slopes bordered on one side by hard surfaces.

New video out on the Glenbow Renovations. The rooftop patio looks cool but the rest is quite 'meh'. I think there was a really cool opportunity for a grand central staircase that won't be happening.

The biggest draw though has to be the improved streetfront presence that should draw more people in. The building right now has the same presence as a giant cube of concrete

New video out on the Glenbow Renovations. The rooftop patio looks cool but the rest is quite 'meh'. I think there was a really cool opportunity for a grand central staircase that won't be happening.

I could see the rooftop patio being very popular for hosting weddings, similar to the Globe and Mail Centre in Toronto.

I also just noticed the large windowed side with the double width sidewalk is along 9th ave. That is a huge upgrade over what's there right now!

Screenshot (14).png

Looks pretty good and will be a huge improvement. It’s not a showstopper, but with the right materials could be a slick addition to the area. This in conjunction with Arts Commons and a Stephen Ave/Olympic Plaza redo will totally transform that area. Add in the Central Library, Studio Bell, and the entire entertainment district and we will truly have (dare I say it) a world class culture and entertainment district. Now when do the Reno’s begin?

If we get what is in the promo vid I will be over the moon. That central atrium is incredible.

Could we please get a dedicated thread for the Glenbow renovation?

Last edited:
I'm mainly excited about the Glenbow's art collection finally being in an a respectable space but it will definitely improve Stephen Ave
Has there been any information about how they plan to renovate and rearrange the galleries? I really hope they lose the whole "edu-tainment" approach and try to present the collection with some more dignity.

They claim to have the largest collection of Japanese armour in Canada, but here's how it was displayed as part of the extremely dated "Warriors!!" gallery:
IMG_9834.jpg

And, for comparison, here's the Japanese armour display at the Met:
Samurai.jpg

No specifics but they brought in Nicholas Bell as CEO. He was part of the very successful Renwick Gallery revitalization in DC. We'll have to wait and see, but I definitely think it will be a state of the art approach to galleries and displays.

The museum has an incredible collection that gets lost underneath an outdated, uninviting building. This is a great opportunity to turn the Glenbow into a world class museum so let's hope it doesn't get value engineered to death

Last edited:

Back