News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Not a bad project, it's exactly what i'd expect in regards to a low rise residential project a couple blocks behind a Main Street.

Residents of Chinatown are fighting street improvements on 3rd Ave now. Is this the most NIMBY neighbourhood in the city now?
To be fair to them, the cycle track option (Option 2 in Zone C in this PDF) would be damaging to streetfront retail in the block between Centre St and 1 Street SE. That is one of the few blocks in the downtown core of active, vibrant retail frontage so I think the City should tread carefully here.

I wonder if 4 Avenue would be a better option for an E/W cycle track?

I don't think the cycle track would make a difference. Most people walk to Chinatown or take the bus, adding another option wouldn't make that much of a difference. Loading for all the restaurants may be impacted as they do it on the sidewalk. That being said, not sure we need a cycle track 2 blocks from the river pathway, further west on 3rd for sure....

I don't think the cycle track would make a difference. Most people walk to Chinatown or take the bus, adding another option wouldn't make that much of a difference. Loading for all the restaurants may be impacted as they do it on the sidewalk. That being said, not sure we need a cycle track 2 blocks from the river pathway, further west on 3rd for sure....
The cycle track at one point was meant to be temporary for the period when the riverfront pathway is updated to be wider and with flood protection which requires a multi-summer closure.

I think in this case, Chinatown's concerns are legitimate, especially about loading on 3rd avenue given they don't have traditional back alleys. The loss of street parking has always been an issue with Chinatown and it doesn't sound like there will be any replacement spots unlike the bike track on 1st Street, which I think would have resulted in no parking spots being lost. I think it's easy to dismiss their concerns as being NIMBY, but I think they have a point here.

Back