News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Hey just wondering if anyone had a chance to attend the open house at the U of C for the sneak peak of the design of the new Mathison Hall?

I wish, totally forgot about it. Can't find anything online either.

Hey just wondering if anyone had a chance to attend the open house at the U of C for the sneak peak of the design of the new Mathison Hall?

I was there - it has a similar form (but more modern and permeable materials) than Scurfield Hall. Any questions - ask away...

I was there - it has a similar form (but more modern and permeable materials) than Scurfield Hall. Any questions - ask away...
That's great to hear. Would you say that the design is on par with all the recent capital projects at the U of C?

Also would you happen to know who the architect is?

Another sign that the Calgary condo market is in a deep depression. Condo Living magazine seems to have ceased printing a Calgary edition. I have not heard any formal announcement on this but the last issue I saw was from December.

Another sign that the Calgary condo market is in a deep depression. Condo Living magazine seems to have ceased printing a Calgary edition. I have not heard any formal announcement on this but the last issue I saw was from December.
Condos are struggling in Canada with insurance issues and high special assessments. It’s harder to ignore when condo are also dropping in value, like they are in Alberta. Makes buyers nervous.

New affordable housing project for the Beltline (16th ave and 10th street) held a ground breaking ceremony today. 51 units in total.
119756-HS16_Photomontage4775_20019-04-02-600x400.jpg

Beltline-Capture-600x381.jpg

Pic from October when the lot was cleared.
Oct-25-1110x540 (1).jpg

New affordable housing project for the Beltline (16th ave and 10th street) held a ground breaking ceremony today. 51 units in total.
View attachment 232192

View attachment 232195

Pic from October when the lot was cleared.
View attachment 232194

Ouuuu I actually love it. It's not a looker or anything, it might even be ugly, not sure though... but regardless, I love seeing non-tower intensification of the Beltline, and affordable makes it a doublewhammy of goodness.

Why wouldn't they go for more floors though? Awfully expensive piece of property in a prime location to leave potential on the table.

Also: is the highlighted yellow the actual building footprint? What would they do with the rest of the parcel?

Back