News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Nordic style spa to be built in Springbank. Groundbreaking scheduled for this summer.

Someone told me today that cidex is going to be building in the huge lot north of the humptys on MacLeod trail. He said it's going to be massive. In the early stages right now.

Grain of salt he used to work for cidex but no longer does.
There is actually a thread for this development. It's calles the hat on elbow...and it was on the news last year. They went back to drawing board.

Nordic style spa to be built in Springbank. Groundbreaking scheduled for this summer.

This will be great for Calgary. Cannot wait to see this when it is done.

There is actually a thread for this development. It's calles the hat on elbow...and it was on the news last year. They went back to drawing board.
This development is actually called Crosstown. I am not sure on the status of it, but heard it will be the focus of Anthem moving forward. The Hat @ Elbow I thought was going to go ahead, no?

I've seen some of these mixed well, but everything together is hard to grasp. The Portland Museum of Art does a nice job integrating indigenous art, Asian art, local art and a more traditional Euro/American art collection, but that's art only, which leaves out cultural artifacts that don't have any art properties. There are a number of combined natural history / ethnography museums (Smithsonian Natural History, Royal Ontario) but it can quickly turn into "look at the animals and primitive peoples" which is problematic. Royal BC does local history and natural history, but it's local natural history. The Melbourne Museum is perhaps the most diverse; it has natural history and science on the west side, and local history combined with anthropology on the east side. But it's huge; the middle is the "forest gallery" which is a 27m x 55m living walk-through forest with local animals, basically a pocket zoo. And it's worthy of note that the cultural aspect is Te Pasifika, which focuses only on nearby Polynesian cultures. (In the same way that Portland has a strong connection with East Asia, and the opposite of Calgary's connection with West Africa).

It's not only hard to grasp, but it's hard to do everything well. Not that many people are interested in all of this, and what's there isn't enough to draw; a big natural history buff wouldn't go just for the minerals gallery, but the people who do go because of the interest in local history or art don't care about minerals.

I see it's potential more in the tradition of the Art Institute of Chicago, which has galleries dedicated to regional fine arts, arms and armor, decorative arts, East Asian art, African art, even some Chicago-specific galleries. The Glenbow obviously can't compare in terms of the quantity or quality the AIC's collection, but it checks several of the same boxes. The Glenbow will never be a draw for tourists, but it would be nice, as a resident of Calgary, to have some place to go an take in some beautiful objects without feeling like I'm being infantilized. I mean, compare the Glenbow's galleries to how similar objects are exhibited at, say, UBC's Museum of Anthropology. There's no comparison.

This development is actually called Crosstown. I am not sure on the status of it, but heard it will be the focus of Anthem moving forward. The Hat @ Elbow I thought was going to go ahead, no?

The hat @ Elbow is going ahead but the city has asked Cidex for improvements at the street level with the podium design.

The land use has been submitted to rezone the parcel the new hotel on the Stampede Grounds will be built on:
So that one is going to be built on the southside of 12 Ave and not on the northside. A few years back there was going to be Marriot hotel going on the northside but that particular proposal was scrapped.

I see it's potential more in the tradition of the Art Institute of Chicago, which has galleries dedicated to regional fine arts, arms and armor, decorative arts, East Asian art, African art, even some Chicago-specific galleries. The Glenbow obviously can't compare in terms of the quantity or quality the AIC's collection, but it checks several of the same boxes. The Glenbow will never be a draw for tourists, but it would be nice, as a resident of Calgary, to have some place to go an take in some beautiful objects without feeling like I'm being infantilized. I mean, compare the Glenbow's galleries to how similar objects are exhibited at, say, UBC's Museum of Anthropology. There's no comparison.
The "family friendly" city strikes again. There is a role for kitschy stuff, but the Glenbow could easily carve out a more broad general history museum to greater success if it wants to be a better destination museum - we certainly don't need 3 or sometimes 4 meh-quality western-themed family-friendly historical institutions like Glenbow, Fort Calgary, Heritage Park - Stampede (sometimes) all competing for the same limited audience (and the same provincial funding grants).

Food for thought, I skimmed the attendance to see how busy these places are. A bit random list as an attempt to get a sense of scale for how popular different services, facilities and festivals are. All numbers are 2019 or 2018:

Calgary transit annual ridership: 105 million
YYC annual passengers: 17.8 million
Banff NP annual visitors: 4.1 million
New Central Library annual attendance: 1.6 million
Calgarians: 1.28 million
Stampede Park 10 day attendance: 1.275 million
Home attendance for 41 Flames games: ~790,000 (assuming sell outs)
Heritage Park annual attendance: ~500,000
Telus Spark annual attendance: ~430,000
Glenbow annual attendance: 167,770
Folk Fest 4 day attendance: ~50,000
Sled Island 4 day attendance: 40,000+
Fort Calgary annual attendance: 24,928
Calgary Underground Film Fest 7-day attendance: 7,500

^ Important to know that for many of those statistics school trips would not be counted in the attendance number for arcane reasons lost to time (perhaps at one point the federal government didn't want to see distortions for museum attendance driven by school children who have to go).

So that one is going to be built on the southside of 12 Ave and not on the northside. A few years back there was going to be Marriot hotel going on the northside but that particular proposal was scrapped.

Yes, that one wasn't on stampede land, this one is on stampede land. Two completely different proposals. I really wish the ClubSport had been built though. It's odd how we've gotten two new Marriott branded skyscraper hotels built/UC since that one was cancelled. Business is weird. The Clubsport was much smaller scale than the others as well (12 floors vs 30 x 2).

Yes, that one wasn't on stampede land, this one is on stampede land. Two completely different proposals. I really wish the ClubSport had been built though. It's odd how we've gotten two new Marriott branded skyscraper hotels built/UC since that one was cancelled. Business is weird. The Clubsport was much smaller scale than the others as well (12 floors vs 30 x 2).
Club Sport got turfed thanks to the flooding in the area. From what I've heard they didn't want to be on the flood plain after seeing what happened, which makes sense for a hotel.

I would vomit blood if Anthem sold to Cidex. Actual hospitalization required ☠

Back