News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Archer and West 17th would be lower risk given they are smaller projects. In a better market the Legion project would be a decent risk, but right now, it's more on the high side, given the size.

Archer, West 17, Truman North, Gateway, Wilshire, Maple, Esquire (University District)... They have a lot on the go as is.

The Legion project has been significantly de-risked and they've brought value to the land since they came in. Like Surreal said, its a bigger and riskier endeavour than what they're used to.

Archer, West 17, Truman North, Gateway, Wilshire, Maple, Esquire (University District)... They have a lot on the go as is.

The Legion project has been significantly de-risked and they've brought value to the land since they came in. Like Surreal said, its a bigger and riskier endeavour than what they're used to.
I forgot about Gateway and those University District projects. They are keeping themselves busy enough for sure.

I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but the CO-OP proposals for Dalhousie and Oakridge are supposedly breaking ground this summer.
Calgary Co-op’s vice-president of real estate, Damon Tanzola, said shovels will be in the ground by mid-2019 in both Dalhousie and Oakridge
https://calgaryherald.com/business/...n-dalhousie-and-oakridge-projects-this-summer

both sites were approved in January

I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but the CO-OP proposal for Dalhousie and Oakridge are supposedly breaking ground this summer.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/...n-dalhousie-and-oakridge-projects-this-summer

Quarry Bay Investments has a deal with Coop for their Dalhousie, Oakridge, and Winston (and possibly Silverado) stores, which have to be under redevelopment by a certain date. From what I know, Quarry Bay entered the deal with the intent of marketing the projects and bring them through the entitlement process. The idea was to de-risk the projects and secure a partner for the redevelopment of those three sites, and have Quarry Bay exit the partnership. Not sure that anything has materialized in terms of getting a development partner.

Last edited:
Also Mission Rd which was supposed to be the first and has stalled. I doubt whether Quarry Bay can go this alone. Their last project in Calgary was The Park and before that there was one in Kelowna. They are just not that active or have, I doubt, deep pockets.

Also Mission Rd which was supposed to be the first and has stalled. I doubt whether Quarry Bay can go this alone. Their last project in Calgary was The Park and before that there was one in Kelowna. They are just not that active or have, I doubt, deep pockets.
How did it stall?

I went to Marda Loop today, wow! I think someone else said this recently on here - it truly is approaching Kensington levels of activity. So many shops, cafes and retail, on and off the main street. The recent condo mid-rises are very notable, creating an entirely different vibe - a truly urban one. Great to see all the new projects like this one down 33rd and 14th Street as well.

Only one problem: while the development has been booming for decades, the transportation system is unbelievably out-of-touch for Marda Loop's new dense and increasingly pedestrian-orientation.
  • Purely suburban style is everywhere
  • narrow/closed sidewalks
  • few/zero crosswalks
  • few stop signs or impediments to maximize vehicle speeds
  • no pedestrian bump outs
  • super long light cycles,
  • high-speed advanced greens
  • all signals are 'beg buttons' and won't change unless you press them
In my 2 hours today wandering around I saw 3 near collisions of vehicles whipping around corners (because there are no traffic controls added from the era when a road was a sleepy side street), big trucks/SUVs bombing down 33rd and 34th, a near collision with a stroller in a rare crosswalk. Traffic is completely chaotic and set up for far higher speeds that is safe. Someone will absolutely be killed on 34th or 33rd in the future if nothing is done to control the speeds and poor sightlines around parked vehicles.

I hope the City steps up soon and completes the picture with their new Main Street master plan for the area: a modern mid-density urban village with walkable, transit friendly streetscapes. Adding about 10 blocks worth of 1st Street SW-level high-quality streetscape improvements would go a long way to address this. And about 20 more completely controlled intersections.
You completely nailed it with the Marda Loop traffic problem. Marda Loop has everything going for it right now, except the traffic situation. When SUV's aren't bombing down the road, it's backed up from traffic off of Crowchild. Also it's hard to cross 33rd anywhere that doesn't have a traffic light.

Precisely. In a 3rd year class "the Transit City" last semester, me and my group focussed on developing a revised Marda Loop ARP with a main focus on traffic and pedestrian issues. It was pretty interesting, if concerning how brutal the traffic is there. Looking forward to seeing what the mainstreets plan for 33 and 34 aves has in store for Marda Loop.

Quarry Bay Investments has a deal with Coop for their Dalhousie, Oakridge, and Winston (and possibly Silverado) stores to be redeveloped by a certain date. From what I know, Quarry Bay entered the deal with the intent of marketing the projects and bring them through the entitlement process. The idea was to de-risk the projects and secure a partner for the redevelopment of those three sites. Not sure that anything has materialized in terms of getting a development partner.
It’s pretty tough working with an entity like Co-op as the development partner. A friend is handling some of London Drugs land portfolio and they are really challenging and not development savvy so you end up compromising much more than the landowner. They push their agenda really hard and compromise is not easy imo. Even more savvy REITs can be pretty tough to work with. Hopefully Quarry Bay can make a go of it, and if not hopefully a developer that can direct Co-op effectively JVs and redesigns the sites

I have had discussions with people in ONE Properties. They still intend to move forward with their 9th Ave project, however their focus is currently on the Curtis Block. It was hinted, however don't take this as anything official, that 2020 would be when more gets moving on 9th Ave.
Looks like One Properties has acquired the site next to Metro Ford, and is updating the zoning on the whole parcel now:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - WCP getting a 3-Phase Exterior Plaza 'rejuvenation' from now until spring 2020:
http://www.wcprejuvenation.com/#phase1

Love to see this being done to some of the buildings getting noticeably dated. The BVS ground level refresh took forever but is a substantial upgrade to what it was before. I would say WCP is in less need than BVS was, great to see the investment by the owner nevertheless.

Back