News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

A few really tall ones around the train tracks (adjacent to the CBD) are fine. :)

Agreed! Maybe they can all look like this Penda designed building from Tel Aviv (and i like pictures of pretty buildings);
1546728806166.png

Most of Beltline north of 12th avenue is 12 FAR (with bonusing). Railtown won't be any more dense than the Arriva/Guardian complex, Keynote, the Hines building on 4th and 12th etc. It is big density, but not any greater than what is already being built.

I understand the desire for midrises, but that isn't what Beltline is. That ship sailed back in the 1970s. Marda Loop, Bridgeland, Hillhurt/Sunnyside, Inglewood will be midrise districts.

I think this is the correct thread for this.
What's the over / under on the Mission Road Revitalization Plan ever being built out (i.e. redevelopment of the southern portion of Mission Road)? I know someone that feels that the Mission 34 building killed the plan (and nothing is rented in the bottom commercial space x2). However, new (many on here say ugly) CO-OP residential building, liquor store and convenience store. Bonus one of the closets residential areas to the City's Barley Belt!

That commercial space in Mission 34 seems out of place. Not sure what type of business would be successful there. No doubt, current economic conditions are holding potential tenants back as well.

Found a couple images of another project by Arlington Street Investments that I think haven't been shared here. This ones called Royal Park, located between 7th/8th street on 17th ave (across Tomkins Park). Its 8 storeys, "main floor and second floor will consist of 58,000 sf of prime retail space, with floors 3-8 comprised of 102,000 SF of residential space." Im sure the final renderings will differ a bit, I don't think this one is going ahead anytime soon but worth the share.
1547014074342.png

1547014146103.png

Given that there is a park across the street, this is one development where we should be very critical of height and shadowing.

I kind of like the existing houses that are used for commercial use. They're kind of cute.

I wish the Mcdonald's, KFC's and Pop Eye's on 17th could be replaced instead.

I kind of like the existing houses that are used for commercial use. They're kind of cute.

I wish the Mcdonald's, KFC's and Pop Eye's on 17th could be replaced instead.
They will be. Popeyes was part of a zoning change last year. I would guess arlington as well? Arlington seems to want to do the NW corner of 14 St first.

I guess it was inevitable, but it will be a shame to lose that little strip of houses on 17th, they make for some great character restaurants and shops.

This proposal could be good, but right now it's trying too hard and just looks awkward...

Given that there is a park across the street, this is one development where we should be very critical of height and shadowing.
I think there are already shadow guidelines that this development would have to follow.

I'm with you guys. I like the little houses, it's a good little strip with some charm and a nice human scale. So many other places along 17th could use redevelopment instead.

On the flip side, I like some of the other things ASI are proposing or doing.The Fishman's proposal, and Fifth. I also like what's happening with the building the National is in.

It sucks to lose that fine grained urbanism between 7 and 8 Street, but this development is one my all time favourites for Calgary condos. I like when things are disjointed like that. The wood could be a real treat depending how it turns out and a nice contrast to the glass below.

I'm happy for the possibility of all that development, I don't like the look of the north end of the development. Too many highrises, and too many all the same height. Neighborhoods chalk full of highrises don't make great neighbourhoods. I'd be happy to see a few high rises here and there, mixed in with more medium height towers (10-15 floors) and some low rise buildings (5-10 floors).

I'm happy for the possibility of all that development, I don't like the look of the north end of the development. Too many highrises, and too many all the same height. Neighborhoods chalk full of highrises don't make great neighbourhoods. I'd be happy to see a few high rises here and there, mixed in with more medium height towers (10-15 floors) and some low rise buildings (5-10 floors).

It's a massing model. That's it.

Back