News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm pretty sure they took it as far as they had to, that area was the western edge of the flooding downtown as the grade is higher west of Eau Claire.

Looks like they are raising the grade in most of the western parts where the flood wall stops or is temporary.
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/Current-studies-and-ongoing-activities/West-Eau-Claire/west-eau claire-flood -protection strategy-lr.PDF
Correct, from the province's 100 year map:
upload_2018-7-16_10-45-26.png

upload_2018-7-16_10-45-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-16_10-45-26.png
    upload_2018-7-16_10-45-26.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 594
  • upload_2018-7-16_10-45-46.png
    upload_2018-7-16_10-45-46.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 561

Attachments

• qo480tupvka11.jpg
    qo480tupvka11.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 580
  • Image1b-2.jpg
    Image1b-2.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 611
Last edited by a moderator:
I think its success hinges on the project across 14th nailing retail tenants - the lack of progress on those ones is concerning.

Do they use a bingo ball cage or is it paper slips in a hat?
Supposedly there's some methodology to it (Avenue hired Leger to make the survey more accurate), but in the end the results each year are wonky and it just isn't accurate or useful. I took the survey last year, and found that there isn't actually way to simply vote for your favorite neighborhood, by answering specific questions, the survey tries to determine what neighborhood you 'should' like and then it doesn't tell you neighborhood you voted for. Most people probably end up voting for a different neighborhood then the one they wanted to vote for....maybe even one that they don't like. The survey is rubbish IMO.

Do they use a bingo ball cage or is it paper slips in a hat?
https://globalnews.ca/news/4350698/top-3-calgary-neighbourhoods-2018-avenue-magazine/
In the interview she breaks down their process( really bad process IMO). My neighbourhood got rated beyond 100 and we have access to an LRT station, relatively higher density, streets are always flooded in the evenings with people strolling and kids playing in the summer, plenty of parks/schools, and ethnic restaurants nearby...so I think their method for rankings was pretty pathetic:rolleyes:. But there's plenty of others on that list I can think of that should be right up there in top 10 including East village.

I’m right there with you guys. I like that the Beltline got voted number one, but really the survey is useless other than it does its intended job of getting everyone in the city to go to their site and see where their neighbourhood ranks. The traffic is great for advertising $$$

Back