4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Saw this on the Palliser/Pump Hill/Bay View community association website:
View attachment 470076
That shopping plaza is such a weird place. Probably has a strange development history.

Absolutely monster setbacks from everything nearby, in every direction. I assume it's yet another forgotten road expansion or previous ring road design that's to blame here? Seems unusually aggressive to setback development 50 - 75m from the nearest road.

Relatedly, it's weird that this place is effectively an isolated strip mall within the Glenmore reservoir park system itself, except in classic 1980s fashion, the inward-facing car-oriented design completely ignores the park it sits in. I would have assumed access to the park is the reason you are doing development in the first place.

It's this weird contradiction - let's build something far away from all streets and people and inside a really nice park, but also design it to make it have as poor of access to that same park as we can imagine.

Great spot for intensification though on the park and BRT system! We could fit a hundreds units just in the setback area alone, between the shopping plaza and the surrounding arterials. Probably triple the population of Pump Hill with a single redevelopment.

You can connect, but the entire development turns it's back on the park, it doesn't feel integrated at all.
Agreed. It would be a good time to better integrate the parcel with the lake/park. When you ride past there on the bike path, at most you get the back side of the buildings :( There's an opportunity to have some restos with patios facing the park.

Imagine doing an evening cycle around the lake, and stopping off at a patio for a pint, watching the sunset 👍

THat would be awesome, some sort of promenade that the business all face onto. I think Glenmore Landing is quite a bit lower than the reservoir (or at least there is a berm between the 2), probably a flood control thing? so it would be challenging to integrate.

THat would be awesome, some sort of promenade that the business all face onto. I think Glenmore Landing is quite a bit lower than the reservoir (or at least there is a berm between the 2), probably a flood control thing? so it would be challenging to integrate.
I guess it would have to be a second story patio. Works for me!

In conjunction with a Glenmore Landing redevelopment, the City should pursue development all the way to the Rockyview Hospital
-four or five 20 story towers fronting the saddle dam berm. The second or third levels could back onto the pathway, maybe with retail
-additional towers in the gravel parking lot used to store boat trailers
-midrise replacement of the Heritage Park parking lot
-midrise backing onto Eagle Ridge, with a pathway separation
-highrises along the road leading up to Rockview

Of course, the NIMBY/environmentalist blowback would be huge. That area is very underdeveloped and has minimal traffic congestion. Throwing another 2-3k new residents wouldn't significantly worsen congestion.

That shopping plaza is such a weird place. Probably has a strange development history.

Absolutely monster setbacks from everything nearby, in every direction. I assume it's yet another forgotten road expansion or previous ring road design that's to blame here? Seems unusually aggressive to setback development 50 - 75m from the nearest road.

Relatedly, it's weird that this place is effectively an isolated strip mall within the Glenmore reservoir park system itself, except in classic 1980s fashion, the inward-facing car-oriented design completely ignores the park it sits in. I would have assumed access to the park is the reason you are doing development in the first place.

It's this weird contradiction - let's build something far away from all streets and people and inside a really nice park, but also design it to make it have as poor of access to that same park as we can imagine.

Great spot for intensification though on the park and BRT system! We could fit a hundreds units just in the setback area alone, between the shopping plaza and the surrounding arterials. Probably triple the population of Pump Hill with a single redevelopment.
It has decent pedestrian flow within the mall.

I hung out at Glenmore Landing right after it opened in September, 1985. Back then, it had some upscale clothing stores. We mostly hung out at McDonald's and the adjacent 50s style ice cream parlour called Sven son's. The developer was Intrawest, which went on to buy Blackcomb and eventually Whistler. The park and especially the pathway wasn't considered much of an amenity at the time. The original architecture of the mall was that of a post modern, New England fishing village, kind of bizarre for Alberta. The McDonald's had fishing net and sailor's hat decor.

In conjunction with a Glenmore Landing redevelopment, the City should pursue development all the way to the Rockyview Hospital
-four or five 20 story towers fronting the saddle dam berm. The second or third levels could back onto the pathway, maybe with retail
-additional towers in the gravel parking lot used to store boat trailers
-midrise replacement of the Heritage Park parking lot
-midrise backing onto Eagle Ridge, with a pathway separation
-highrises along the road leading up to Rockview

Of course, the NIMBY/environmentalist blowback would be huge. That area is very underdeveloped and has minimal traffic congestion. Throwing another 2-3k new residents wouldn't significantly worsen congestion.
I'm sure Ready to Enrage would come back to life to fight this haha.

Back