News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Another Richard White article, endorsed by Terry Wong and others on Twitter.

It's mostly a reiteration of the same ideas that he's posted about many times before. Here are some thoughts:
All of his articles are a reiteration of the same lame take that doesn’t actually have a point.

It was nice to see a lot of people on Twitter calling him out. Lol.

Looks like some city councilors want to make this a priority. Guess we know what that study on the social return on investment says.

I posted this video here as not everyone checks out the video thread, and this one’s a good one. A nice video showcasing some good Calgary bits, even some cool shots of Westman Village.

Wow! Some great shots in there that really showcase Calgary's density.

Beltline.PNG

Inglewood.PNG

WVT.PNG

Central Memorial.PNG

Bridgeland.PNG

Westman.PNG

Skyline.PNG

Which community in the images above is the one with the lake? Nice to see apartment buildings with solar panels. I genuinely don't know why the city doesn't just mandate this going forward. Ya it might add $10k to the purchase price of a home but the market adds more than that every year while delivering zero public benefit and we shrug that off so why not do something for the public good?

Which community in the images above is the one with the lake? Nice to see apartment buildings with solar panels. I genuinely don't know why the city doesn't just mandate this going forward. Ya it might add $10k to the purchase price of a home but the market adds more than that every year while delivering zero public benefit and we shrug that off so why not do something for the public good?
That's Westman Village in the shot of the lake.

The City sort of half ass requires them. They suggest a building be "solar panel ready" in their DP reviews, but most developers push back and get away without doing it.

What I'm curious about is how effective they actually are at this latitude, by that I mean how much electricity they can actually generate and what the cost benefit it to owners relative to the cost and lifespan of the panels. If they are clearly effective then it's a no brainer. If they barely generate enough electricity to justify the cost over the life of the panels, then there are other ways we can achieve efficiency.

Solar power generation here at this latitude isn't too bad, mainly due to the amount of sunny days we have. We are at a higher latitude than Vancouver for example, but generate around 40% more power over the course of a year, and are one of the best places in Canada. how that compares to a place like the Mojave desert, I'm not sure.

Edit: did a quick google search and it looks like Vancouver is around 1kWh/kW/yr, Calgary is 1.3kWh/kW/yr, and Arizona is around 1.7kWh/kW/yr

The city has listed the piece of property that they decided to sell. From the article "The developer who purchases the land will get to build an anticipated 283 dwelling units, ranging from three-storey townhouses to four- to six-storey mixed-use residential buildings, according to the city’s sales brochure."

Back