News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The project at the Calgary Zoo also includes new infrastructure for the Caribou and Whooping Crane exhibits. The new Polar Bear exhibit will be located in the NE corner of the Canadian Wilds.
Basically this is the existing bison and Dall Sheep areas, for reference (not the bighorn sheep / mountain goat), cutting a little into both Caribou and Whooping Crane (presumably why they are also being realigned).

It's unclear to me if viewing shelter 2 on the largest body of water could be an underwater viewing site or not; it's hard to tell from the plan, but I suspect so. It's not a huge body of water, 100 sq m or so (8% of an Olympic swimming pool); not ideal for a marine species. Canadian law requires a pool of 70 sq m and 3m depth at the deep end, so I suspect that there's underwater viewing.

It's interesting; the video game Planet Zoo required 7000 sq m land area and 2250 sq m water to house a pair of polar bears appropriately; after game players complained, it was dropped to 3900 sq m of land and 1080 sq m of water. (The Canadian law is 500 and 70 as minimums.) This particular exhibit is around 8700 sq m total, with the upper pool at 100 sq m and the lower pond at 40 sq m or so.

My brother told me today he recently received a letter from a developer who is proposing to put a 16 story "professional tower" (his description) up around the 85th and park development near aspen.

Not sure if there's been any information about this posted on this forum.

Of course he immediately sent a letter to the developer vehemently opposing it.

That would be the Cobalt Mixed Use project in Springbank Hill. While the project itself doesn't have a specific thread, I have created a thread for all of the projects currently underway in that area:

I remember the architect from Snohetta explicitly stating that he didn't want to incorporate a +15 during the library design unveiling. He brought up how Norway, also a winter city, didn't have any +15's and people still survive.

I can’t picture how the access route through city hall will look. I am not so familiar with the layout of the building. The graphics in the article above doesn’t help me visualize it.

It looks like they will leave open a north-south route, connecting the LRT platform through to the City Hall Parkade and Plus 15 that connects to Arts Common. And, an East-West route that will act as an extension of Stephen Avenue. They will barricade off access to the glass elevator banks, escalators and council chambers.

Back