News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Proposal for 40th Ave and Centre street N
AD9FDB21-E769-4551-A6FA-A92788F51239.jpeg
D0965C70-01F2-43BB-9DB5-7942F6D2B547.jpeg

They've built a little skatepark under the sunnyside ctrain/pedestrian overpass. Love seeing little projects like this. A tiny drop in the bucket for the overall project cost, with a huge benefit for the urban fabric of the city
View attachment 335975

Sage Hill Rock “Sunnyside”

Watching Priorities and Finance Committee this morning, and the downtown strategy is recommending redirection and reprioritization of cultural municipal sustainability initiative (CMSI) to two projects. Glenbow Museum, which we have seen, and the Fort Calgary renovation and new museum project. Showed this rendering:
1626796704980.png

I'm not sure Nyhoff actually exists anymore. They moved to Vancouver about 2 years ago, but both of the principles of Nyhoff work for other firms currently. I wouldn't get too excited about this proposal, at least not this version of it.

For a young city with no natural history or fine arts museums... we have so many damned museums dedicated to local history and the military!! Heritage Park, Fort Calgary, the Glenbow, and Military Museums.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure I would rank rebuilding Fort Calgary as a top priority for cultural investment.

What I'd rather see is the Fort Calgary grounds turned into a beautifully landscaped park rather than a massive, unused field of dead grass only steps away from downtown.

Last edited:
The Glenbow should be the focus, but I'm ok with improvements to Fort Calgary. The grounds should be a bit more park like, and they should have a permanent festival stage too. The one thing that Fort Calgary should include is a section for First Nations, I'm sure they had a good use for that land before Fort Calgary was established.

The one thing that Fort Calgary should include is a section for First Nations, I'm sure they had a good use for that land before Fort Calgary was established.
Actually, I'd be open to having the museum completely reoriented toward Indigenous history and Treaty 7. The site is important, but Fort Calgary itself is really just a blip in history. It was completely gone within a few decades of being built and none of its individual structures lasted very long. The palisades were taken down in less than a decade. I think the Fort is more meaningful as one small part of a larger story of colonization.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one end, the expanded patio space is good for businesses and helps to bring vibrancy onto the streets but on the other end, the orange barriers really look ugly and just create a walking maze. Not to mention accessibility issues for certain people. What should have happened was what we all wanted initially with the 17th ave renovations, wider sidewalks! But as usual, our council, like previous councils, is too shortsighted. All that money was spent on renovating a mainstreet, only to still have the sidewalks the size of suburban sidewalks. Shame.

Last edited:

Back