News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Oh yeah, every time I go by it's packed. I can neither confirm nor deny if my pooch popped the tetherball ball several weeks ago :rolleyes:

What is going on in Shaganappi? Three very recent DP applications for multi-family projects

45 units at 1408 33 St SW by Lola Architecture
49 units at 1702 33 St SW by Norr Architects
100 units at 1714 33 St SW by Norr Architects

and none of these are part of the planned Westbrook TOD, I don't think.

What is going on in Shaganappi? Three very recent DP applications for multi-family projects

Oh nice. Truman must be planning to move forward with their 33rd street stuff. That is exciting news.

I would say this is just typical of how the City works. Set an ARP, then wait for developers to come in and upzone/build around the edges of what the ARP called for :). I actually do think this is a very positive step, and hopefully it will spur Matco to finally move on their parcel on top of the station.

If projects like these keep getting built it’ll hopefully it’ll provide a catalyst for Westbrook’s station area to get developed.

Brutalism is by far my least favorite architectural style. I can think on only a handful of such buildings that are attractive, mostly because they juxtapose against a natural environment: ex. Ontario Science Center in Toronto (in a wooded ravine)

Problems with brutalism in general:
-concrete looks awful when wet and takes forever to dry
-concrete easily stains, mildews and cracks
-gray is drab and depressing
-sheer walls, cantilevers and other attempts at geometric whimsy can create a sense of being overpowered or dehumanized
-government buldings, especially from the Communist era, are often brutalist, which reinforces the impression of conformity and oppression
-housing projects are usually brutalist - think A Clockwork Orange
-brutalist buildings are often designed to force occupants into walkways, courtyards, stairwells etc., creating a feeling of being socially engineered
-brutalist buildings are often internally focused, with interior atriums and courtyards, that not only turn away from the street, but basically try to wall it off with unremarkable entrances and few windows

The former CBE building is nothing special or in need of preservation. It reminds me of a smaller version of the Hoover Building (where Fox Mulder works in the basement) from DC. The entire Churchill Park redevelopment scheme from the 60's-80's created a depressing environment in that part of dt. The sooner all of that meets the wrecking ball, the better. The former planeterium is Calgary's only brutalist building of merit.
Respectfully, I wholeheartedly disagree. This is a widely accepted as a very culturally damaging approach to take, and exactly what led to the destruction of lots of Victorian era architecture. We're kicking ourselves now because of it, which is why people fight to save these buildings.

The case for preserving — and improving — brutalist architecture.
“There’s a tendency to condemn the entire period based on its worst examples,” argues Michael Kubo, an architect and architectural historian who co-wrote a book about the style. “People point to all of the second- or third-rate, relatively cheaply built buildings in concrete... as a way of condemning the best buildings.”
For any significant building in any style, the period between its 30th and 60th birthdays is awkward. By 30, it has been around too long to seem new or edgy. Its style has probably fallen out of fashion, and most likely it needs repairs. But it’s not yet old enough to be distinguished — to seem properly historical.

Before studying any Architectural Conservation at University, I would have agreed with you. I respect that you may not like the style, but there's a lot more than subjectivity at play here.

Oh nice. Truman must be planning to move forward with their 33rd street stuff. That is exciting news.

I would say this is just typical of how the City works. Set an ARP, then wait for developers to come in and upzone/build around the edges of what the ARP called for :). I actually do think this is a very positive step, and hopefully it will spur Matco to finally move on their parcel on top of the station.
I found this map. Sure enough, the new DP's appear to be all Truman. They have acquired 18 lots in Shaganappi to build on.

1618518943128.png

Back