6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Why is this a thing? 😳

5th and 20th in Mission...

1FD49629-FF1F-4B06-9A85-9B820AFE1DB9.jpeg
26ADABF9-9E3B-4D33-A570-B796DB09E663.jpeg

Nice place, a little pretentious, but I'll allow it as it's in a good way compared to what we usually get for high price tags here.

Honeyycomb though? Come on, that's ridiculous.
Hey anyone with a pet peeve on materials choice will have an aneurysm with this one. Brick, two types of metal, glass, marble (?!) all with a front car driveway. It's like a 1982 cocaine-fueled, meeting between a rich jerk and their architect time travelled to 2021.

This is another piece of evidence for my case that there is a weird Upper Mount Royal influence that in the area that makes some bizarre, rich and out of touch decisions. You see this subtly all over the area - weird McMansion infills, the rich QAnon guys on Cliff Street, and the occasional bizarre retail scandal (Purple Perk every 2 years or so). Let's not forget the weird rich person fetish for Earls on 4th Street for some reason.

And calls itself inaccurately West Mission instead of Cliff Bungalow and celebrates this fact inexplicably on their website:
1612383933420.png

Wow they really hit all the boxes on the McMansion checklist. Windows that don't match, an ungodly amount of different materials, awkward looking design that takes from about 4 different kinds of architectural style. The interior is fine and actually looks very nice but the outside looks over designed.

Really tired of people labelling everything as a loft, this is one of the least loft-like spaces I've ever seen

Agreed. It doesn't fit any of the definitions of a loft.
1: an upper space below a roof: attic
2: one of the upper floors of a warehouse or business building especially when not partitioned
3: the backward slant of the face of a golf-club head

The incorrect use of the term may define that the marketing consultant was given a concussion by #3.

Are we losing the downtown hostel for an assisted living facility? Not a new development, but changing the hostel use to an assisted living one? While the past year was no doubt very hard on the hospitality sector, I can't see this as being a way to add vibrancy to East Village:

Usually they don't but I am guessing the tree has some sort of issues. There's something mentioned regarding its health, maybe it's in decline?

Is it a City of Calgary bylaw that we need to cut down any tree that actual reaches maturity ? This is in the Beltline next to the dog park. Hate to see this happen, considering Calgary' canopy is so young and small compared to older cities.View attachment 298523View attachment 298524

Back