News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The Orchard sales centre has been demolished and Impark has put in a parking pay station (previously Indigo). The exciting development news from East Victoria Park never stops. Other than about 5 remaining buildings the majority of the land from 12th AVE SE north to the tracks between 4th st and 6th st is now clear. Hopefully some of this gets going in time with the new arena but I'm not holding my breathe.

The Orchard sales centre has been demolished and Impark has put in a parking pay station (previously Indigo). The exciting development news from East Victoria Park never stops. Other than about 5 remaining buildings the majority of the land from 12th AVE SE north to the tracks between 4th st and 6th st is now clear. Hopefully some of this gets going in time with the new arena but I'm not holding my breathe.
The Orchard sales center is unsurprising. The new arena is set to finish for 2024 (I think?), I wouldn't expect to see much happening until 2023. The problem is who wants to live in a wasteland of gravel parking and construction? I imagine that there's justified hesitation about being an early adopter. Once the value of the area is more visible, and if the demand is there, we'll see things pop up.

CMLC is shifting their focus from EV to East Vic this year, if that's any indication that it'll pick up a couple years from now. Green Line would help a lot.

It hasn't been around long enough to be stalled really. But there is no news, and it'll be a while. The community is very much against it.

They have added a lot of detail to the renders since we last saw though...

Last edited:
The Orchard sales center is unsurprising. The new arena is set to finish for 2024 (I think?), I wouldn't expect to see much happening until 2023. The problem is who wants to live in a wasteland of gravel parking and construction? I imagine that there's justified hesitation about being an early adopter. Once the value of the area is more visible, and if the demand is there, we'll see things pop up.

CMLC is shifting their focus from EV to East Vic this year, if that's any indication that it'll pick up a couple years from now. Green Line would help a lot.
Living in east Beltline as I do, it is looking more and more desolate each year. The area east of 4 St all the way to the river looks a lot like what East Village was before all of the development.
I wonder if Brad Lamb sold that property where The Orchard was going to go.

Living in east Beltline as I do, it is looking more and more desolate each year. The area east of 4 St all the way to the river looks a lot like what East Village was before all of the development.
I wonder if Brad Lamb sold that property where The Orchard was going to go.
This is why many of the major projects have been on the east end of downtown. Here's some of the figures, not including the green line or any community improvements (like the underpasses and infrastructure upgrades):

$245M Central Library
$191M Studio Bell
$500M New Arena
$550 BMO Expansion
$440 Arts Commons
$1.93B Total

It may be desolate right now, but the city is really trying to make it great. In 20 years the east end of Calgary is really going to be something, imagine the long term impacts if any other community received that much investment and was at the intersection of the two rivers.

With the Glenbow revitalization you can add another $115 million to that list. Don't forget the $40 million Stampede Opera Centre and the $36 million Fort Calgary museum expansion as well.

Within that 20 year timeline, the revitalizations of Stephen Avenue, Olympic Plaza, and Municipal Plaza will also occur. This is on top of all the other numerous completed, underway, and proposed infrastructure upgrades already totalling nearly 2 billion just for this area (not including the proposed Centre Street south and 5 Street SE subway stations).

Last edited:

Back