News   Apr 02, 2020
 775     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
If you have the link to the IG page where it was, post it and i'll pull the fill sized image. 👍
View attachment 260371

Just saw this proposed building for a luxury condo tower posted on the McKinley page. Looks like the location is where the bounce basketball courts are in EV. (sorry for the grainy shot, it's a screenshot from IG).

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wait will we lose the courts or is this next to it? I like the courts, that place has got NYC vibes.
Perhaps we could push for the park to be recreated on the CPA lots right next to the library when the temporary one closes.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
Take some of the surface lots by the CPR and make them into urban courts / sports fields, this lot is too good to leave undeveloped.

CCF

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Bounce Park has always been a temporary intervention for that site. Just as EV Junction, which was there previously, was too.

As for the proposal, I'm pretty sure that the intention is for senior's living (unless that has changed recently).

Calgcouver

Member Bio
Reaction score
What ever the case is, I like the tower development but I still want the Bounce Park somewhere in our core preferably still in EV or Victoria park. The park brings its own unique level of vibrancy into the area.
Pie in the sky idea, what if they put the Bounce Park on top of the PLATFORM parkade? If they were serious about it being multiuse, might be a really cool feature.
1596136774948.png

Maybe something like this:
1596136849009.png

Might be a really cool attraction and good investment in the Basketball community and even from a revenue perspective i bet people would park there to play.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
How tall is the ground floor? Not a huge (at all really) basketball fan, so don't know how much clearance you need to allow a game to play. If it is a standard 10' ceiling, the dunks will be spectacular and frequent at least!
There is indeed a sport court within a 'mesh' frame, with a coloured asphalt surface. How public the access is, who knows. The permit notes doors. Amenity for the incubator/accelerator during the day and public at other times hopefully.

1596151538738.png
1596151971388.png

A structural column impedes expanding the court into the courtyard more unfortunately.

The next level is at ~6m, so even with structural beams there will be plenty of clearance.
1596152112421.png

Calgcouver

Member Bio
Reaction score
You're actually not that far off... I do believe the plan is to relocate the Bounce park to the ground floor of Platform
Ugh, kind of would like it somewhere outside on street level where the vibrancy can be openly seen as a pedestrian, somewhat of a spillover effect.
agreed. Either way, petitioning should be either #bballonthestreet or #bballontheroof :)
You’re right about the street activity, having it easily accessible and setup like a park in the current format does a lot to attract activity and patrons for other nearby shit. Really hope it can be as fun when ‘formalized’ in a somewhat indoor space in the new format. It seems successful in its current format because it is so visible and changed the culture of a corner. Tucked into a building it might feel like playing Ball at the Y, and not like a cool street court.

Last edited:

Member Bio
Reaction score
View attachment 260371

Just saw this proposed building for a luxury condo tower posted on the McKinley page. Looks like the location is where the bounce basketball courts are in EV. (sorry for the grainy shot, it's a screenshot from IG).
are there soil remediation issues for this lot? isnt that usually an issue for abandonded service stations?