News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Just curious if anyone has an update as to what is going on with the Stephen Ave side of the old Scotia Centre building? I was excited when I saw the renderings for Slate's redevelopment. If I recall correctly they said they were beginning construction in early 2019 but months have now gone by and no work has begun. Is this project still going ahead?

This is still in play, but won't be any time right away. I've heard they are still working through some things.
Just curious if anyone has an update as to what is going on with the Stephen Ave side of the old Scotia Centre building? I was excited when I saw the renderings for Slate's redevelopment. If I recall correctly they said they were beginning construction in early 2019 but months have now gone by and no work has begun. Is this project still going ahead?

Your assessment is incorrect. It would permanently destroy 100 meters of riverfront property with substandard design and abysmal retail integration. I can't even begin to understand how you could characterize it as "awesome."

Does anyone know the plan for the lots the Government of Alberta purchased in the flood zone (i.e. Roxboro) which state no river access or trespassing on them? They are starting to become a bit of a ugly stand-out.

Your assessment is incorrect. It would permanently destroy 100 meters of riverfront property with substandard design and abysmal retail integration. I can't even begin to understand how you could characterize it as "awesome."
In all fairness this section of riverfront is not and will not be a destination area ever.

In all fairness this section of riverfront is not and will not be a destination area ever.

All sections of the riverfront should be treated as potential destinations, particularly those so close to major attractions like the stampede grounds, 2 LRT stations, and multiple vibrant neighborhoods.

Isn't the city's long term plan to extend Riverwalk down the Elbow Lindsay Park?
Yes. It will extend on the other side of the river where the current asphalt pathway is. I agree with previous comments. Public access to the river on the side where Cidex is building, is not necessary. Anyway, the renderings show some green space so it won't be a total monolith.

If the restaurant space that goes into Hat @ Elbow (stupid damn name) is succesful, then it could probably help activate both sides of the river...

Yes. It will extend on the other side of the river where the current asphalt pathway is. I agree with previous comments. Public access to the river on the side where Cidex is building, is not necessary. Anyway, the renderings show some green space so it won't be a total monolith.
Where would one find out more about this plan?

If the restaurant space that goes into Hat @ Elbow (stupid damn name) is succesful, then it could probably help activate both sides of the river...
2 restaurants and a bunch of CRU space. How many dry cleaners can 1400 units support? Doesn't seem like a place for destination retail. I could see a quick pivot to a hotel maybe for one of the towers.

Back