News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Statscan numbers

I screwed up !!!! .............................I said skyscrapercity and I meant to say skyscraperpage which is sort of the mother website of this one.

There has been little conversation about Calgary on the forum as most have left but we have a new one and people are really excited. I truly mean that as people personally welcomed him onto the forum and were very pleased to have an Albertan on the forum. People over there are eager to here about what is going on in Calgary & Alberta in general but we have only one new forum member from the area and nearly all of our once Alberta forumers have sort of disappeared over the last few years. We all miss our Albertan friends and really want our discussions to reflect the entire national perspective.

I know that the ads directed at Canadians say "Alberta is calling" but on skyscraperpage forums it's directed at Albertans saying "Canada is calling".
I’ve gone over to the Canada section at SSP a few times, and to me it hasn’t changed. I agree there is less fighting than their used to be, but like Taurus said, the people who used to hate on Calgary and Alberta still there doing a lot of posting, and from what I’ve seen they still haven’t changed their stance.
If it’s not something positive about Quebec, New Brunswick, or Nova Scotia they don’t want to hear about it.
Of course I’m not talking about you. You’ve been a good poster and I wish there were more people like yourself, but until those dozen or so haters are gone I won’t be spending much time there.

I screwed up !!!! .............................I said skyscrapercity and I meant to say skyscraperpage which is sort of the mother website of this one.

There has been little conversation about Calgary on the forum as most have left but we have a new one and people are really excited. I truly mean that as people personally welcomed him onto the forum and were very pleased to have an Albertan on the forum. People over there are eager to here about what is going on in Calgary & Alberta in general but we have only one new forum member from the area and nearly all of our once Alberta forumers have sort of disappeared over the last few years. We all miss our Albertan friends and really want our discussions to reflect the entire national perspective.

I know that the ads directed at Canadians say "Alberta is calling" but on skyscraperpage forums it's directed at Albertans saying "Canada is calling".
I’ve posted a few times in the Canada section mostly just saw that people in eastern Canada forget that there’s a western half of the country. Lol.
Right now, the Canada section is fairly peaceful, but it’s because it’s mostly Quebecer’s preaching to the choir.
As soon as people from western Canada start posting more, the hate will resurface.

I've just discovered this place. As a former Calgarian and an infrequent poster but long-time lurker on the Skyscraper page, I've decided I won't post there again. The last time I shared my thoughts on Canada's shift to the left, I was branded a troll, and my post was deleted.

I haven't been to SSP for a while, but the Calgary section is dead, so no point in going there, and the Canada section is inherently toxic. It's always going to be a city vs city section, and that won't ever change, so point in visiting there either. The last few times I've visited the Canada section I've left thinking everyone in Canada hates everyone, and the top half dozen or so posters are Calgary haters, so I'll spare myself the headaches. That is unless a bunch of us Calgarians flood the Canada section and take it over. The fallout would be some quality entertainment 🤣

Calgary CMA grew by nearly 100,000 people in the last year
2022: 1,586,7252023: 1,682,509

Wowzers… by comparison, Ottawa at 40k ish and Edmonton at 60k ish

I went to the Canada section not too long ago and the hate against Calgary/Alberta/The west has dampened but mostly due to not many Calgarians/westerners posting. The bulk of posters are mostly the same people from east of Ontario, and to be honest I don’t think they want to hear from us. Definitely not if it’s anything positive.

Thanks for the invitation though, it’s too bad there aren’t more people like yourself in the Canada section.
That is exactly what I was going to say.

Sorry ssiguy, appreciate the invite, but we all know how it will end, because it happened many times. Good to see you again though. (Chadillac)

May's housing starts are out. A couple of surprises. Montreal moves up with busier numbers. Vancouver drops a bit. I don't know if it's a trend, but Vancouver's numbers have been behind Calgary's 3 of the last 6 months. Winnipeg has been falling off the map lately. Their growth is dependent on Filipino immigrants, I wonder if those numbers have been dropping? Ottawa picked up, but mostly due to a couple of large apartment startups in Gatineau. We'll have to see if it's a blip or this is more normal.

CitySFHsemirowapartmenttotal
Toronto2906041237184480
Montreal143327121562402
Calgary6172062369371996
Vancouver182768016331971
Edmonton577962019561830
Ott/Gat1942414811721538
Quebec543213542641
Halifax602410432526
Winnipeg106283221187

Last edited:
It'll interesting to see how the demographics for young people (18-24) shake out. A few years ago there was lots of talk of young people in that bracket leaving, with a net loss between 2009-209, but there were also 5 bad years for the economy. I suspect there are still a fair number of people in that bracket leaving as many leave to go to schools in other cities, but I will also bet the numbers have changed, maybe even to a positive % change.

For groups in the 24-34 and 35-44 I bet we'll see huge increases.

1718851891244.png

Nearly 50,000 people in 1 quarter just seems bonkers. At that rate, we will come close to - or surpass - 5 million by the end of the year. With Calgary pushing 2 million by the end of next year if this trend continues.
It won't. The whiplash from the external taps being turned off will surprise a lot of people.

Probably won't slow the exodus from BC and ON
I think of the country like multiple bodies in a hydrostatic equilibrium, forces pushing outwards, and forces pushing inwards with fluid flowing between the bodies, and fluid being added from the outside.

Last year Ontario had a 'push' inward of 363,000 international students, net new around 220,000. This year Ontario will have a push of only 160,000 new international students, net new zero maximum (and likely to be lower).

That is a huge change! Especially since arrivals are mostly in a surge in August-September, causing significant pressures in the housing market. Starting for 2025, post-graduation work permits will be changing too. Both combined will mean non-permanent resident number will be a negative contributor to population growth instead of positive.
1718902062751.png

Over the next 3 years, that chart will be net negative by a total of 500,000 or so. This year it should drop by quite a bit with the combination of no new Ukrainian arrivals after March 31, zero contribution from international students, and lower university contributions on post graduate work permits (2019 and 2020 students).

Back