News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Old photos of Calgary

IMO, we've done a good job of getting tree cover in the city. Sure, it's nit great, but considering what we started out with, we can feel good about it.

I'd still like to see more trees planted along places like Deerfoot Trail, and who knows, it might happen someday.

trees planted along places like Deerfoot Trail
This is provincial domain isn't it? I assume the province has no one to care for them whereas the city does. Deerfoot and Stoney are 'old Calgary natural' like that photo. Maybe rather than money towards art the city should take some of that and put it into greenery,

IMO, we've done a good job of getting tree cover in the city. Sure, it's nit great, but considering what we started out with, we can feel good about it.

I'd still like to see more trees planted along places like Deerfoot Trail, and who knows, it might happen someday.
That would be a great idea. Are there species of trees that survive here that are more resistant to road salt? The ditch in the centre and on the sides of the highway would be great.

There is also a safety consideration. Cars going off of deerfoot or Stoney at highway speeds don't want to hit a tree.
Ah dang. Too true. I guess if we put them far enough off to the sides it might work?

There is also a safety consideration. Cars going off of deerfoot or Stoney at highway speeds don't want to hit a tree.
Maybe they could plant aspen groves or shrubs? Other cities where trees grow on their own generally seem to do shrubs. On some of the slopes, maybe the trees could be planted up a bit higher. When I mentioned the Deerfoot, I was more thinking more of Nose Creek valley in general, but maybe having some small drought resistant shrubs not far the the roadway could also be done.

This is provincial domain isn't it? I assume the province has no one to care for them whereas the city does. Deerfoot and Stoney are 'old Calgary natural' like that photo. Maybe rather than money towards art the city should take some of that and put it into greenery,
The province looks after Deerfoot, and I guess probably the immediate strip of land adjacent to the roadway. Not sure how far from the roadway.

Fair point about cars hitting trees, I can see that being a problem close to the road but there's no reason you can't put trees on some of the grass berms. Whitemud near Terwillegar in Edmonton has some greenery along it, if I remember right, there's signs along the road about it being an initiative from the 80s or 90s.

The section of Deerfoot that could use the most help is the section south of Anderson. That place could be a highway in Anytown, USA.

To keep this on topic of Old photos of Calgary... accepting that we live on the 'North American' Steppe (as depicted in that photo). As it's defined by wikipedia: In physical geography, a steppe (/stɛp/) is an ecoregion characterized by grassland plains without trees apart from those near rivers and lakes. So lets just put as much trees and greenery along our 'car rivers' and in our 'car lakes' (parking lots).

If trees can't be planted along the highways, what about shrubs like Lilacs? They would provide some nice greenery and colour, as well, they grow fairly well in the city and some species can get fairly big. If a car were to hit them it wouldn't cause as much damage as a tree would.

17th ave back in 1967

FooGGSnaMAEzCTS

You can see Crooks Drugs alive and well in the pic.

This is Crooks drugs from an earlier time
FoorFuXakAA4V6s

Back