4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Old photos of Calgary

Chinook Centre early 70's

View attachment 387233
Funny that the gas station/car wash loop kind of mirrors the Tim Horton's drive through now.

Also had never thought of it before, maybe because 4th street at 56th ave looks so prominent here, if the alignment of Macleod jogging right there had something to do with nimbyism but looking back at aerial photos it's followed that alignment since for at least a hundred years. 4th(3rd) street feels much more like a natural center, interesting thought experiment to wonder what the city would look like if that had been the main southern entrance to downtown. Does anyone know the history of how the city center / center street alignment was selected? Did it have to do with the CP terminal?

The Chinook picture shows the pickup location from Woodward's Food Floor towards the center of the picture. It is that small building in the parking lot where customers could pick up their groceries. Customers would pay and the cashier would give them a number. The store would bag the groceries and place them on a underground conveyer that would move them to the out building. Customers would drive up to the building, show the number and staff would load the bags into the car.

The image also shows 61st Ave separating Chinook Center (south side) from Southridge (north side). Southridge had a Super Valu grocery store.

The Glenmore-Macleod interchange seems to be under construction towards the lower right. I distinctly remember it opening in 1976. I'm guessing the excavation probably took several years.

I would have been about a year or two old when that picture was taken, but can still recognize much of Chinook's form. I probably went there 2-3 times per week as a kid. I didn't move to Calgary until I was 5, but my family spent lots of time there.

The Chinook picture shows the pickup location from Woodward's Food Floor towards the center of the picture. It is that small building in the parking lot where customers could pick up their groceries. Customers would pay and the cashier would give them a number. The store would bag the groceries and place them on a underground conveyer that would move them to the out building. Customers would drive up to the building, show the number and staff would load the bags into the car.
That's fascinating. The more things change, the more they stay the same....

Bridgeland 1912 (Not sure where, as I can't find an address with the #308)

View attachment 227314
Could be 308 11 St NW:

1649963112557.png

You can see in the photo to the left there is a possibly a narrow empty lot then a house where the roof has a kink in it at the end above a door. 2 doors down from the 308 11 St NW is a house with such a 'kink' with a door below

1649963076437.png

Could be 308 11 St NW:

View attachment 392876

You can see in the photo to the left there is a possibly a narrow empty lot then a house where the roof has a kink in it at the end above a door. 2 doors down from the 308 11 St NW is a house with such a 'kink' with a door below

View attachment 392875
Wow, that sure looks like it doesn't it. Thanks for finding that.

@JoeUrban, you da man. You solved a mystery as I always thought it was in Bridgeland, and with my mother and her parents passed on, there was no way to know where the photo was from. I believe that's the place the right place. I found a couple more photos of the same house, and you can see the house from two lots over looks to have the same roof-line. The door appears to be in a different spot, due to what looks like an addition to the back of the house. The door and window are actually still in the same spot relative to the roof line.

1649999034444.png

1649998339610.png

Last edited:
@JoeUrban, you da man. I believe that's the place the right place. I found a couple more photos of the same house, and you can see the house from two lots over looks to have the same roof-line. The door is in a different spot, but that could have been moved, as now the wall is stucco instead of siding.

View attachment 393022

View attachment 393025
I think the door is actually in the same spot but an addition has been put on the back since those old photos. It looks to me that the current door is under the end of the roof as it is in the historical photos.

I think the door is actually in the same spot but an addition has been put on the back since those old photos. It looks to me that the current door is under the end of the roof as it is in the historical photos.
You're absolutely right, I had just edited, as I thought the same thing, and then noticed your post :)

Back