MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | U of C | DIALOG

1544819682640.png

In this photo, the interest things are:
1544819713234.png

The corner units are going in. And the 1+1/2 height floors are going in. The 1+1/2 floor will have the normal operable window (full height) and the high 1/2 height windows will also be operable.

and:
1544819897542.png

The columns that will be exposed to weather have been encased in a few insulation layers, then a new layer of fancy concrete was poured around them.

I doubt before the new year we will see the outer facade going on. All the form works and posts need to be removed from the upper floors before that can happen I've been told.

How in the ever-living-fuck did they make Mackimmie that cool of a building? Definitely thought it would be a meh re-skin. Great job to all involved
The goal of massive environmental impact improvements meant that the team had to be innovative. That the building had asbestos in a lot of interior fittings meant they needed to take out most interior fittings. Lots of research including a trip to Europe to help learn about double facades in places with winter climates, and best practices for solar integration.

That you can't buy awful looking glass, because then it has poor porperties for letting in sunlight/heat is just happy benefit.

We're still waiting on the final layer.
Yup! I saw some powered scaffolding equipment coming back onsite a few days ago, presumably to start on the outer shell/installing equipment in the space between the two layers (equipment for opening and closing windows, motorized blinds, some solar). The framing for the outdoor glass on the ground floor is also being prepared.

Just spoke with one of the workers on site today and he said they are planning to begin installation of the exterior facade in about 3 weeks.

fullsizeoutput_2623.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2622.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_261e.jpeg

It was mechanical. It will be a conference centre. There aren't any students spaces in this tower as far as I know.
There are students. Grad students on level 1 & 2. Social work students, maybe one classroom there.

The total project which includes the block being replaced, which has lots of student space.

Also, a big part of this project is moving administration out of other places and freeing this space for labs and office to support more academic things. I believe the IT department is going to move out of potential lab space into the tower for example.

this is one very neat looking construction site. The building especially looks so clean and tidy for some reason where maybe PCL must have some good quality subtrades installing all the exterior components. Even the horded off bits look nice. This crew probably runs a tight ship..

Back