News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

A neat project in Ramsay, incroporating the Black & White corner store.

1684950783900.png

1684950808176.png

A neat project in Ramsay, incroporating the Black & White corner store.

View attachment 479641
View attachment 479642
Beautiful and simple. If we can scale this and get a few hundred of these infills everywhere - along with a mix of all the rest of typologies we are seeing more of (e.g. apartments) - we have a chance at materially adding housing supply and diversity in these areas.

Ramsay is so small and has seen such limited intensification this little development increases the housing supply like 0.75% just in its own. Baby steps but promising!

Love the retail preservation/addition too - imagine if brand new random 10 and 12 plexes would have off-main street little shops and cafes like this occasionally, not just where one used to exist but anytime it made sense. Would boost Calgary urban life to a whole other tier.

Last edited:
Can't believe that little store is protected, of all the buildings in the area to keep forever. This proposal looks good though!
It's not legally protected but I guess the developer has agree to keep it regardless

I'd like to see more of this with corner heritage sites, like this, like Red's diner building in the Beltline, and maybe the corner portion of the Tigerstedt block that the sign is mounted on?

Last edited:
It's supposed to be protected, I work with someone who did the heritage protection at their previous job.
It might be similar to the Nimmons house where designation is the plan but there's no point designating and then needing to de-designate to modify the building for the project. With Nimmons they instead had a protective bylaw that covered the protection but allowed the project work, with designation to happen after the project is completed.

Sorry SP, It is that site. It appears the design team has changed a bit since the developer brought the project forward. A little surprised that there was no heritage/conservation architect listed.
A bit of a photo update from the Monday. The power went out. I was working on a proposal deadline for Tuesday when the fire department knocked on our door to stay out of the backyard and lane. Anyway, word on the street was that "some form of equipment" took out one of the powerlines behind the barn. Anyway took a few shots of the Barn for you all while I was there. There is interesting old graffiti partially on the T+G wood siding that was covered up by the shed addition.
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

I suspect the culprit might have been the Cat parked up front. Anyway, the contractor/City should probably reassess their equipment mobilization plan. We got the proposal in with 3 minutes to go. As my partner thinks, and she might be right,
the Stewart Livery ghosts might be pissed.

Back