News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Another update of our favourite rapidly progressing project. The update looks about the same as it would’ve last year at this time I think.

Honestly, at this point, I’m thinking maybe they should plant a time capsule for the future and then open the time capsule when they finish the project. Lol

IMG_4476.jpeg

A few general updates fomr the CMLC newsletter this moring.

For the East Village:
CMLC is seeing sustained development interest in the community, recently signing Letters of Intent for three development parcels, and looks forward to seeing those agreements progress in 2024.
I feel like we've seen that stated a few times over the last two or three years though so I won't hold my breathe until we see something more concrete.

For Arts Commons:
CMLC is leading the Arts Commons Transformation and Olympic Plaza Transformation projects on behalf of Arts Commons and The City of Calgary, and are preparing to reveal the design for the Arts Commons Transformation expansion – a new building with a 1,000-seat theatre and 200-seat studio theatre – this spring and anticipate breaking ground on the expansion later this year. The Olympic Plaza Transformation project, which will support Arts Commons’ vision for an expanded, integrated Arts Commons campus, is also advancing through the design phase in 2024.

A few general updates fomr the CMLC newsletter this moring.

For the East Village:

I feel like we've seen that stated a few times over the last two or three years though so I won't hold my breathe until we see something more concrete.

For Arts Commons:
IMHO I dont want to hear about anymore proposals or launches of Hi rises. Let’s get some shovels in the ground for atleast one of the dozens of proposals we’ve heard about in the last year or two. It’s like the developers have cried wolf one to many times. I don’t take them seriously anymore 🥲

IMHO I dont want to hear about anymore proposals or launches of Hi rises. Let’s get some shovels in the ground for atleast one of the dozens of proposals we’ve heard about in the last year or two. It’s like the developers have cried wolf one to many times. I don’t take them seriously anymore 🥲
Amen

Have we even seen any proposals? The last one I can think of is the Copez lands which is a 2016 development permit. There was the Minto project that had a rendering on a realtor's website from 2 years ago, but not much on that front since. CMLC will make big annoucements about partnering with these groups (One Properties, Minto, the Stampede hotel with Matthew's Southwest) but these annoucements never turn into actual projects.

Yeah CMLC has become somewhat of a disappointment in recent years. They can't seem to get any actual projects off the ground from private developers. I also find their execution of projects to be rather lacking (Stampede Trail, 17th Ave extension both look very underwhelming at this point). The design for Arts Commons was supposed to be unveiled just before Christmas originally, now they say the spring. I have low expectations for what they have come up with for the expansion and renovation of the current facility. Fingers crossed for something good, but not holding my breath.

Back