News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

There are a number of regulations regarding exposure time vs warmup/recorvery time based on how cold it is, these are just made up numbers for an example but if it is -30 then maximum exposure is 45 minutes with 20 minutes in a warm environment to recover, if it is -40 then maximum exposure is 25 minutes and so on. How well companies follow that is another matter.

You also have situations where some tasks can't be done below a certain tempurature, by code structural welds can't be done below -18 as there is a risk that the metal doesn't heat up enough and you don't get a proper bond.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread or no demand for it, but I was wondering if there is a thread for Canmore construction/proposals like Edmonton Skyrise has for (Red Deer/Jasper)?

There seems to be a couple of projects being built, but not sure if anyone really cares or just there isn't any thread for it?
There is now 👍

welds can't be done below -18
This is one of those cases where it sounds like a lot of research went into producing a highly precise number, but then you realize it's just 0F converted to C.

Kind of like how newer highway guidelines say that interchanges must be no less than 1.6 km apart. Oh wait, that's 1 mile.

The empty field across 114th from the BRT and future lrt station at Douglasglen has this sign out. Does anyone know anything about this major TOD project? Sounds promising with 12 buildings, multifamily and retail. Been wondering when this prime land would get developed. Really happy to see it’s not another car dealership.
DP updated with drawings by KN Architecture, phase 1 with 459 units in 3 buildings. Phase 2 is a shitty strip mall as expected

TOD Masterclass

1705044144892.png
1705044177075.png
1705044246390.png

I thought the DP proposed something like a dozen buildings. This only looks like 8? That building design looks very similar to the one that's being built across Glenmore from Chinook. Also, when I first saw it I thought it was for the "TOD" by the Superstore in Westwinds (which is by the same developer as the Chinook apartment rentals). It seems like a copy paste of that with an added stripmall. Why is the retail closest to the lrt and not the residential buildings? Funny they obviously are prioritizing that over the residents' access to the station, yet it is phase 2 of the development. I'm surprised they even bothered with that walkway cutting through the middle as it terminates at the back of the condo building where there is no entrance. So stupid. The most direct route will likely be access road and then 29th st. What a dumb missed opportunity. It claims to be a TOD but doesn't imagine any of the residents actually using transit? Car travel and parking lot access are the priority.

Maybe it's just the decades I've watched that field wondering when it would be developed, but I'm kinda excited to see ANYTHING get built there sadly.

Edit: Too bad the Sobey's closed as they would have had walking distance groceries. I guess there's Crisp Apple in the old RONA / video store building, but otherwise it's Co-op in QP.

Last edited:
I drove through University City today and it was pretty incredible to see the overall level of design and planning. It seems like the SE of the city gets worse designs than the NW. Quarry Park and Seton are the only big density areas with a few spots like this TOD in between. Seems like so many squandered opportunities. Ironically everything is built for cars because there's no lrt, but these TOD's will now be stuck with that design thinking after the train arrives.

It is a new design/DP.
DP2024-00045

The design you are referring to, with multiple more buildings, was DP2022-7363. Looks like the developer has changed plans.
I saw the last posted DP a month ago. They must have changed it pretty fast, or else the sign just never changed. The height seems to at least be a bit taller than was previously listed or speculated. Maybe they condensed the townhomes into this larger 3 tower design? If that's the case I'd call that an improvement at least.

Last edited:
I spotted some equipment doing soil sampling at the old Metro Ford site yesterday. Don't know if that means anything is immanent or if they are looking to sell, but action none the less.
It was last summer when they were doing soil sampling outside the old TransAlta building, now there's a proposal. I'm blindly optimistic.

Last edited:
I was at Chinook today and noticed the building for that restaurant in front of the theatre (Chop I think) is completely demoed. Seems weird. I think they went out of business but couldn’t it have found another tenant? Or is there a plan for that area?

Semi related to this my brother in law works for Chapters and told me there are plans to redevelop the basement where the bowling alley is.

Anyone know anything?

Back