News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Coffee, treats and demolition at 9 AM on a Wednesday.
Just imagining the aroma of demolition + dust suppression water spray + chicken factory.

Glad it's not a summer demo.

Better keep the lids on those coffee cups.
🤮

In all seriousness though, this is a landmark event. That site has been stinking up Ramsay for many decades and before that it was industrial storage. What ever goes there in the future will be an improvement over every previous use as long as Calgary has been a place.

Some progress on the Peace Bridge rail replacement with posts and handrails installed except at the start and end of the bridge:
IMG_1435exp.jpg
IMG_1464exp.jpg

Touristy shot:
IMG_1373_1381exp.jpg

The guy who smashed all the panels should be forced to help rebuild the new railings.
In this case I don't know how much it would help. IIRC, the guy was semi homeless and mentally ill, but I know what you mean. It would be nice if vandals were held accountable by helping fix the stuff they break, or having to help pay for the repairs.

In this case I don't know how much it would help. IIRC, the guy was semi homeless and mentally ill, but I know what you mean. It would be nice if vandals were held accountable by helping fix the stuff they break, or having to help pay for the repairs.
I would be interested to know how every city in history has dealt with this problem. It's hardly like Paris, Rome & Tokyo haven't dealt with issues of crime, property damage, vandalism or even wars, in their thousands of years of history, yet they have many nice public spaces in great quality (and many examples where the quality could be better too).
  1. Do they just not use glass and fragile materials very often?
  2. Do they just accept higher costs in designing public spaces - more durable materials, engineering, monitoring for damage and repairing?
  3. Do they have fewer places accessible to the public of high quality so #1 and #2 are less of big deal?
  4. Do they have higher enforcement cultures that reduces the volume of property damage that occurs?
I find #4 to be part of the answer, but also the least compelling because it's kind of cop out - if only people were better we'd have nicer things! Holding people accountable is a good thing for sure - I really don't see lots of evidence that we can enforce our way out of bad behaviour. That said the last decade's collapse in traffic enforcement seems to have made drivers worse on average - either that or I am getting old and cranky.

I think a large part of it is that the area around the Peace Bridge is so quiet an night whereas old cities have far more people in their main areas all times of the day and night. San Francisco is in a death spiral because of issues like this, and they haven't figured out the solution yet.

Back