News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Demolition started at the building at Fourth and 11th.

0F7EDE1F-DAC8-47A6-97DF-15FEA27B157F.jpeg

The old Roadhouse/Knoxville building on 9th Ave is being demolished. I believe this is for the new Enmax substation. Another famous nightclub gone. I’m generally curious what the youth of today do. Seems like nightclubs are a thing of the past and are fading out. I guess everyone would rather hang out at pubs or stay home and play video games.

The old Roadhouse/Knoxville building on 9th Ave is being demolished. I believe this is for the new Enmax substation. Another famous nightclub gone. I’m generally curious what the youth of today do. Seems like nightclubs are a thing of the past and are fading out. I guess everyone would rather hang out at pubs or stay home and play video games.
It seems like every time a night club closes 2-3 cafes open up.
I don’t know if this is indicative of all younger people, but going by my three nieces for example they all prefer the coffee shop/café/pub scene over the nightclub scene.
Oddly enough they all love to dance so not sure why they’re not into the night club scene, maybe things have changed since I was younger.

I don’t know if this is indicative of all younger people, but going by my three nieces for example they all prefer the coffee shop/café/pub scene over the nightclub scene.
Oddly enough they all love to dance so not sure why they’re not into the night club scene, maybe things have changed since I was younger.
Hudsons and Whiskey Rose are pubs that largely turn into clubs later in the evening.

As a young adult, I might as well throw in my two cents. I have gone to some of those clubs a few times here and there, I found it just wasn’t my scene and it’s the same for a lot of other people I know who are around my age.

A couple of reasons, is that it’s usually too loud to have any kind of discussion with anybody, and you’re almost guaranteed to run into at least one or two drunken idiots each visit.

I like to live it up once in a while and have a few drinks just as much as the next guy but doing it on a regular basis doesn’t work for me.

In past I think younger people used to go to the nightclubs as the primary place to meet people of the opposite sex. I don’t find that’s the case as much today, at least for me and many of the people I know, there are other ways of meeting people and arranging dates, etc.
Night clubs will always be around as there are people myself included who like loud music and some action once in a while, but I don’t think they will be the primary venue for young people to meet.

Last edited:
I used to be with it, then they changed what "it" is.....

There is definitely still a huge demand for nightclubs, and i think there is a massive supply/demand issue right now, as restrictions are lifted people are ready to ready to let loose and its pretty apparent. All of the venues downtown with dancing on weekends are fully packed and lined up every weekend (commonwealth, greta, whiskey rose, national 10th, broken city, etc.)

Even at 32 i still enjoy going to clubs with my partner as we're both electronic music nerds and like to get out dancing. Unfortunately for people like us, Calgarys two best clubs for that didn't survive covid (HiFi and Habitat) theres a big void now for an Electronic music focused nightclub which i hope is filled soon. I would love HiFi to come back but we will see

Not true. There are many places still to go out. If anything Knoxville's and to an extent Cowboys is seen as greasy. Places like Greta, National, Whisky Rose, Commonwealth are all exteremly packed and popular. It does seem like bars that turn into nightclubs are getting very popular. Backalley is the new hot one because of it renovations and basically the same as Cowboys, just its in a terrible location. I think give it time and many more Great or Nation esque bar/clubs will open up. Thats what Calgary's nightlife seems to be trending in.

I guess what I am referring to are night clubs in the traditional sense. Yes there are lots of bars and pubs that turn into a dance hall or club later at night, but whatever happened to all the high end night clubs (Mynt)? I remember that there used to be lots of night clubs that had strict dress codes (dress shoes for guys, collared shirt, no hats or hoodies, etc). I kind of feel that society as a whole has really regressed in terms of how people present themselves in public. I mean nothing wrong with comfy hoodies, but it would be nice if people still dressed up once in a while when going out. I would love for a revival of the "dinner club" scene that existed in the 50's and 60's like is seen in Goodfellas (everyone wears a suit/dress, classy entertainment and dinner).

Back