News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Century Gardens looking awesome!

1912169D-3E4F-400B-A666-67092613785C_1_201_a.jpeg
AD8A8052-38C0-4890-A3AC-811D7A067511_1_201_a.jpeg

Figured out what they're doing at the Mission Cliffs, they're just formalizing the pathway down the bluff and adding stairs. Definitely a big plus for the area.

F6777197-0AD5-46E4-AAC0-5C363FDE963F_1_201_a.jpeg
5E6A1142-F226-4F04-B6D8-D4EC2614DEC1_1_201_a.jpeg
1C24F3AD-ECB9-4AB4-9AB8-CE48D6AE2300_1_201_a.jpeg

Yeah, I hope they do a bit to beautify the whole area at the top too. It's such a wonderful little space, it needs more than a couple of benches and overgrown junipers. Replacing that heinous chainlink fence along the retaining wall with a decent treatment would be a good start. A few more benches and a larger area of paving stones would be excellent.

About time we had a pathway up that hill on that side. That'll be a nice workout for the calves! I get tired of going up Hillcrest Ave, plus this will be a straight shot from my apartment!

The pathway has always been there. They're merely formalizing it.

You don't need to have lived downtown for years to know about the path, I've only lived downtown a year but have used that path for far longer than that. Anyways, it's a bummer that they're putting in stairs. It was way nicer as a natural area. Hopefully the stairs are just an option and the actual path still exists, like in other parks nearby.

I wasn't arguing with you, and I wasn't saying you had to live downtown to know about this project. Btw I'm the guy you sat next to you in 591. I agree that it would be nice if they kept it natural, that spot will be even more popular than it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Improving that pathway has been discussed since at least the 1980s. If I remember correctly, the two big issues holding it up were NIMBY opposition, and overall slope stability. The hillside is not natural. Like McHugh Bluff it was a sandstone cliff similar to Scotsman's Hill that was regraded in the early 1900's without much consideration of drainage and long term stability. Some old pictures show the exposed sandstone cliffs. Another give way is the unnatural fall lines.

Is any drainage improvements or pile driving also underway?

I wasn't arguing with you, Chad and I wasn't saying you had to live downtown to know about this project. Btw I'm the guy you sat next to you in 591. I agree that it would be nice if they kept it natural, that spot will be even more popular than it is now.

Lol yes I know who you are

Yes it would be nice, and to an extent they likely will, as with all other cliff-side paths. Here's hoping the stairs don't fuck it up.

Improving that pathway has been discussed since at least the 1980s. If I remember correctly, the two big issues holding it up were NIMBY opposition, and overall slope stability. The hillside is not natural. Like McHugh Bluff it was a sandstone cliff similar to Scotsman's Hill that was regraded in the early 1900's without much consideration of drainage and long term stability. Some old pictures show the exposed sandstone cliffs. Another give way is the unnatural fall lines.

Is any drainage improvements or pile driving also underway?

That's Mount Royal/American Hill and Calgary government for you. The city slogan could be "catering exclusively to rich c*nts since 1884."

No piles are being driven as of yet, and likely won't be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back