News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

The MacLeod Prof. Center turned out excellent. Does anyone remember the name of the drive in restaurant that was there before? I remember driving past it when I first moved to Calgary and then it sat vacant for sooo long collecting weeds.
I believe that was Willy's.

Meadows Mile Professional Building Crane came down Wednesday:

Professional Bldg Crane Down IMG_2688
by ferreth, on Flickr

There are signs on Blackfoot saying the Holiday Inn is finally open. They finally open in the dead of winter, with construction blocking off the most obvious access half the time. Hope they have deep pocket books to weather the slow business to start!

A few progress pics of the work at century gardens.
20190201_123204_resized.jpg20190201_123206_resized.jpg20190201_123249_resized.jpg

You know, with this recent push of a few MacLeod Trail low/mid-rises, that section north of 58th Avenue to the cemetery hill could become something. A few other nearby or related activities that provide a bit of evidence that the area is shifting to ...something... rather than exclusively just one of the worst car sewers we have ever produced.

• Chinook pedestrian bridge and 61st Avenue improvements
  • Manchester affordable housing developments (2005 - present, final tower going up now)
  • Manchester brewery cluster continues to expand (6 - 10 breweries depending on where you draw the lines). Really demonstrates a changing culture in the area during summer weekends vibe from a run-down industrial zone to something more interesting, vibrant, and bicycle/pedestrian-focused
  • $5.5M for a multi-use pathways connection from 17th Avenue across MacLeod Trail and into Highfield in the 2019-2022 budget
  • Recently completed mid-sized office at 39th Avenue and MacLeod
I won't declare Macleod Trail saved until non-peak street parking returns for the first time in 40 years, but there are some green shoots out there. A few more decades and we might be on to something there.

Interesting that Manchester has turned into a brewery cluster, since one of Calgary's first breweries was there in the 19-teens (or earlier) until sometime between the 50s and 70s. Mountain Spring Brewery, renamed to Big Horn Brewing Company around 1927.

m-289-111-2.jpg

Back