News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Pics of Brookfield's Ivy @ University District. I would make a thread for it (like we have for Maple, and Noble), but residents are already moving in. Overall, it looks pretty decent.
0-IMG_7339.jpg 0-IMG_7342.jpg IMG_7344.JPG IMG_7346.JPG IMG_7366.JPG IMG_7367.JPG IMG_7369.JPG IMG_7370.JPG
0-IMG_7339.jpg

IMG_7370.JPG

IMG_7367.JPG

Attachments

• 0-IMG_7339.jpg
    0-IMG_7339.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 577
  • 0-IMG_7342.jpg
    0-IMG_7342.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_7344.JPG
    IMG_7344.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_7346.JPG
    IMG_7346.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_7367.JPG
    IMG_7367.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_7369.JPG
    IMG_7369.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_7370.JPG
    IMG_7370.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 575
So I was on 17th last night between 5th and 8th - the road looks great but are the sidewalks really just going to be left as is? Like just dump some asphalt to fill the holes and move on? It looks terrible.

And I think it is a temporary measure, to allow the road to be open during the busy summer/patio season. I don't think what you currently see is the finished product.

And I think it is a temporary measure, to allow the road to be open during the busy summer/patio season. I don't think what you currently see is the finished product.
It also allows for a season or two of ground settlement to minimize cracking with the permanent sidewalk.

I don't like it's placement either but, what has not been mentioned is that they painted it black to blend in with the building. Imagine if it was still lime green or cutsy ladybug. I don't think the amputated bug would be as underwhelming.

The Fairmont Palliser Oak Room closed this week officially as they are undergoing some extensive renovations. I haven't seen what they have planned for the space yet but stumbled upon this online. Can anyone confirm that this is the current concept that they are using: http://puccinigroup.com/portfolio/fairmont-palliser-4/
I don't know anything about the project, but I like the renderings. It's not my style, but it looks very elegant.

The Fairmont Palliser Oak Room closed this week officially as they are undergoing some extensive renovations. I haven't seen what they have planned for the space yet but stumbled upon this online. Can anyone confirm that this is the current concept that they are using: http://puccinigroup.com/portfolio/fairmont-palliser-4/
The concept is the right size according to the oak room floor plan. Considering the same people designed part of the Empress, I'd put money on this one.

Looks like public realm improvements continuing on 17th ave. Also, forgot to post this, there's a sign up at Irvine in Inglewood stating Sept 1, 2018 construction start date, and the CBC site and phase 2 site of the Legion in West Hillhurst are both fenced off.

DlFPqTgVAAASUgb.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/EWoolleyWard8

With all the hype for the future of 17th ave, I really felt like they should have used blocked paving for the roads like they did in East Village. It would have been expensive but well worth it at the end. It really would have helped set the tone that 17th is one of the most vibrant and valuable streets in the city. Definielty a missed opportunity IMO.

With all the hype for the future of 17th ave, I really felt like they should have used blocked paving for the roads like they did in East Village. It would have been expensive but well worth it at the end. It really would have helped set the tone that 17th is one of the most vibrant and valuable streets in the city. Definielty a missed opportunity IMO.

I agree. This type of paving really makes some streets/neighbourhoods distinctive. However what are the streets going to look like in 5-10 years? I live in the Beltline and walk the streets of downtown all the time. Many newish office buildings or condos were finished at street level with unique stone, stamped and coloured concrete or brick sidewalks, that are a significant upgrade on plain old poured concrete.
My own building is an example. The problem is that after 8 years, a lot of the slabs or blocks are badly chipped, missing chunks, cracked, scratched or stained. Patchworks have been attempted (asphalt in places where there was broken concrete or stone). It looks awful and I see this everywhere in the downtown. I guess most of this custom work just doesn't hold up to our weather.

p.s They just did a terrible job with the finished sidewalk and walk-ups in the front of Park Point. I wouldn't be happy with that if I was the developer or condo buyer unless the contractors are planning on going back to clean/touch up.

I agree. This type of paving really makes some streets/neighbourhoods distinctive. However what are the streets going to look like in 5-10 years? I live in the Beltline and walk the streets of downtown all the time. Many newish office buildings or condos were finished at street level with unique stone, stamped and coloured concrete or brick sidewalks, that are a significant upgrade on plain old poured concrete.
My own building is an example. The problem is that after 8 years, a lot of the slabs or blocks are badly chipped, missing chunks, cracked, scratched or stained. Patchworks have been attempted (asphalt in places where there was broken concrete or stone). It looks awful and I see this everywhere in the downtown. I guess most of this custom work just doesn't hold up to our weather.

p.s They just did a terrible job with the finished sidewalk and walk-ups in the front of Park Point. I wouldn't be happy with that if I was the developer or condo buyer unless the contractors are planning on going back to clean/touch up.

I would be happy if we just had consistent pavement everywhere on the sidewalks. Currently it's wild the crazy random styles, patterns and patch-jobs throughout the inner city. I know we get a lot of freeze-thaw cycles (that contribute to some of the lifting and cracking issues you mentioned) but our sidewalk and pathway pavement is amazingly inconsistent and often in really poor condition compared to places like Vancouver and Toronto.

Back