News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Cidex must still be bullish on Calgary. From the latest David Parker article:
https://calgaryherald.com/business/real-estate/parker-anthem-sees-opportunities-along-bow-river

"Notes:

Calgary’s Beltline district continues to attract investors who have confidence in the area for quality residential development. The latest sale is the 1.79-acre site between 11th and 10th Avenues on 10th Street, across from Vintage Towers and the adjacent popular Midtown Co-op. Owner ATCO Investments contracted the listing to the Avison Young Capital Markets Group, which also represents the new owner Cidex Group. Avison Young principal Kevin Morgans says developers believe there is a need for new residential product able to offer a wide range of amenities, including high ceilings and wider corridors; Cidex plans a mixed-use commercial/residential development for the site."

Sounds like this entire block:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.043016,-114.0851883,3a,75y,5.92h,93t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sVszegK_r66Vj9t08MbIJbw!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=VszegK_r66Vj9t08MbIJbw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=337.10223&pitch=0&thumbfov=100

I was looking at that block yesterday on my walk home and wondering if something would happen with that site. Of course, I look at every parking lot and decrepit building and wonder if anything will happen to them.

Glad to see it still in action somewhere, but I agree with @Silence&Motion, it doesn't really suit the building. I'm not sure what would be a better spot though. A park is what comes to mind first, but it's not safe enough for kids.

gT7L78t.jpg

See what I mean? Underwhelming.

Here's another case where an "I agree with you, but I don't like what you're saying." button would be great. Cause you're right and I don't like it. :(

Is it in its final position? If so, I'm kind of disappointed. They cut off most of the legs and it looks haphazardly placed in a way that doesn't create much of a visual impact. Also, they painted it black.

You really nailed it here. There was definitely an opportunity for it to be so much more. It should be climbing down the side of the building, not waiting crippled for a giant bird to pick it off.

(mind wanders to some sort of Godzilla sized Truck-a-saurus-Eagle)

For comparison, this is what it originally looked like:
spidercar.jpg

Ideally, it should have been installed at street level at a prominent corner within the neighborhood. Or, it could have at least gone on the corner of the property.

On the roof, the main vibe I get is one of those "wacky" family restaurants from the 1990s.

Attachments

• spidercar.jpg
    spidercar.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 500
It would also fit in an empty plaza somewhere, where there isn't a Wonderland type sculpture to save the plaza. Paint it chrome and put it in that new park at the west end of the Beltline.

Well that is a terrible downgrade. They were better off sending it to the scrap heap than “refurbishing” it to this state.

I agree the reincarnated spider bug isn’t perfect. The legs being chopped off steals some life from it and I find the support stand really ugly and intrusive looking. I’m not sure how it supported itself perfectly without a stand before but it needs one now?

That said I am so relieved that it didn’t just end up in a scrap heap that I’m willing to overlook its imperfections if it means preserving a living memory of the area for future generations to enjoy.

Last edited:
The new outfall was already under construction when I was in Calgary early in the summer. There is a cofferdam extending from the west/south bank, just south of the Calf Rope bridge.

Back