News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

My urban design fantasy for 36 Street NE is for the malls to be built right out to the sidewalk and then seamlessly integrated with the bridges to the LRT stations, just like you see in many Asian cities and increasingly in Vancouver.
Absolutely, and it wouldn't be that difficult to do either. Start with Sunridge or Marlborough Mall, and develop a mixed use building right at the station, and then start on the next parcel to the north or south, or across the street.

My urban design fantasy for 36 Street NE is for the malls to be built right out to the sidewalk and then seamlessly integrated with the bridges to the LRT stations, just like you see in many Asian cities and increasingly in Vancouver.
Man that would be awesome. I was sort of thinking the same thing with a shopping mall on the first 2 floors of the podium and residential units up on top reaching maximum potential heights allowed in that area. That sort of integration ur thinking about would be so hype but I feel they first need to separate the LRT from grade level along 36 st NE. It's already way too congested with vehicles from all the constant traffic/LRT lights and theres too many frequent accidents occurring with people or cars getting hit by the train. Before we substantially increase more density in that area and create it vibrant again with foot traffic, those tracks will definitely need to be dealt with. I think instead of funding further LRT extension to the suburbs (past Saddletowne), they should deal with those 2 LRT stations first which would be rewarding for people who choose to live closer to the core and not in the far suburbs.

Absolutely, and it wouldn't be that difficult to do either. Start with Sunridge or Marlborough Mall, and develop a mixed use building right at the station, and then start on the next parcel to the north or south, or across the street.

I agree. If you compare the Blue Line along 36 St NE, it's much better suited IMHO for intensification/urbanization than any of the other suburban legs of the LRT system (i.e. 17 AVE SW, Crowchild NW, and MacLeod SW).

It's already zoned for commercial uses, so you don't have to worry about NIMBYism as much (in contrast to 17 Ave SW, for example). Its surrounded on all sides by parking lots that could easily be redeveloped without much demolition. And 36 St NE is less of a freeway than any of those other streets.

Think of how awkwardly those Brentwood Station developments fit within their surroundings (University City, Brentwood Commons). And then think of how much better they would fit around Malborough Station.

Wow, quite the proposal. Initial thoughts are it looks good, I'd maybe drop the brick material and stick with just the glass and black paneling. While in other proposals the drive through loading/unloading area would perhaps be derided it has an actual practical use here given the buildings use and I like how it is covered over top by the building. It does butt up quite a bit to those existing buildings next to it on the east side, not sure how you minimize that.

that riverwalk proposal is great. There is certainly a need for this type of housing and I like the look a lot.

Went to the Sunalta ARP Open House tonight for two developments:

Housing One (https://calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Current-studies-and-ongoing-activities/Housing-One-application.aspx) on 10th Ave near 14th St. SW and the Arlington 17 project (https://calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Current-studies-and-ongoing-activities/17-Project-application.aspx)

There's not a lot posted online right now for Housing One, as it's only at land use but it's a major change from the existing ARP. The existing ARP maxes out at 18 stories and a significantly lower density/FAR, while the desired change is to go for unlimited height (like the rest of Centre City - shadowing and density would cap it at two 20-30 story towers or a single 41 story tower). If the interaction with 10th Ave is good I can see it working quite well - especially being roughly a block from the C-Train station. I'm wondering if the desire is to get ahead of the West Village development as the ARP for West Village doesn't even go that high.

Kind of confusing is that the same site currently has a DP to turn into a brewery but also has this land use? (I think the first CBC article made mention that Bronconnier and team don't own the property yet but would buy it if they get the land use?)

As for the Arlington project - it definitely had a contingent of very concerned residents primarily around the fact of how 16th Ave and 15th St is used for cut through commuting on top of some misinformation that they're looking at 800 units on the site? They have a website set up for the project now at http://www.arlingtonstreet17.com/ and were looking for ideas from the community on what to include.

Reactions: AJX
Both projects sounds intriguing. I would like to see something on 10th ave and 14th street. Kind of a wasteland right now, and might be a great spot for a 41 story tower.

Oh...

Back