News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

If buildings include parkades in Seton, then there is room to add density down the road, so I would consider that a partial win. The problem with expecting a site like this to be proper urban, is that super cheap, typical suburban development is right there and that's the choice most consumers will make.

There's that potential. Simply adding more density on top of the existing framework down the road isn't going to impress me either. Density or growth valuations aren't enough for me..

Seton is an improvement setting aside the ongoing hype and viewing it as typical suburbia. I was convinced of something innovative and trendsetting here. I struggle seeing it as anything else.

I like what I see in Seton so far. True, it still has a lot of suburban elements, but I ike the improvemntd I see over other suburban neighbourhoods.

Northmount and Brisebois moving along.
C6805BFB-0E06-412C-BBF5-6C2B794512EE.jpeg

Attachments

• C6805BFB-0E06-412C-BBF5-6C2B794512EE.jpeg
    C6805BFB-0E06-412C-BBF5-6C2B794512EE.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 613
I don't really buy the consumer-driven theory behind subruban-style development. Yes, consumers probably want a single family home over an apartment. But all the other suburban features: wide streets, green buffers, single-use zoning, etc. are all forced on consumers by a combination of developers and government. My sense is that consumers generally prefer the urban form of early 20th-century streetcar suburb style neighbourhood with narrower streets and lots, densities in the range of 5000-10,000 people/km2, mixed uses, etc.

I'd certainly like to think so. Let's hope we can get back there someday!

I'm on the other end of that spectrum forum friends! I like big wide yards with no shared walls but friendly neighborhoods. So 70's to 80's is my favorite. And depending on the area some older but I'm not a big fan of certain things in older homes, mainly wiring.

Nice to see what’s going above that massive pit in front of the hospital. It looks nicer than any of the other condos being built there now. The worst is still Cedarglen. Will another development be sharing the north side of that block?

So far the institutional stuff in Seton is on a way higher level than the residential. The rec centre and high school are both fantastic looking buildings. As is the hospital itself. Maybe it’s just price point but Westman Village is a much higher calibre than any of the Seton offerings so far.

I'm with you Rollerstud98.
Not sure why it's assumed by most on here that people want high densities and early 20th century form - yuck
Cause i think theres a general majority on this forum that support high density knowing how bad and lifeless Calgary can look with the current 70's and 80's layout. I mean once you go visit some other higher denser cities that have so much more vibrancy and street life, you kind of come back to Calgary and think what am I doing in this depressing town. Now in no way am I showing hate to Calgary and I'm saying this with a tough love attitude. We have the highest incomes in Canada, cleanliest city in the world, one of the highest GDP per capitas in the world, plus 5th most livable city in the world but the one thing that just kills this city is the density. Thats something we know as city we need to fix. I'm quite frankly sick and tired of friends/family coming from Vancouver or Toronto calling Calgary a ghost town and boring and its kind of hard to argue otherwise, so like I said it's showing the city some tough love because I really care about how are city leaves mark on a global scale. Right now Calgary really doesn't look like a city outside the core area, it just looks like a bunch of suburbs glued together. This city grew so fast past 1 million that many Calgarians still approach this city with town mindset. I was reading a survey done this week on youth friendly cities and Calgary absolutely bombed the list, not only were all the Canadian cities lacking compared to other cites around the world but cities like Ottawa did better than us. Especially when I talk to my age group, 20-30, practically all of them would prefer a denser vibrant city, thats one way of retaining younger folks to a city. Now I don't wanna get started on the whole property taxes and development issues as the other problem of urban sprawl but I hope that explains why a huge amount of people here advocate for higher density projects. IMO, I've always thought of it this way, if you can't accustom to an every growing city thats accommodating more denser living than maybe the city isn't for you and you should look to settle in neighbouring towns/cities like okotoks, airdrie etc. Of course this a free society so everyones always entitled to having their own opinions and views but you could always just join us;)

Cause i think theres a general majority on this forum that support high density knowing how bad and lifeless Calgary can look with the current 70's and 80's layout. I mean once you go visit some other higher denser cities that have so much more vibrancy and street life, you kind of come back to Calgary and think what am I doing in this depressing town. Now in no way am I showing hate to Calgary and I'm saying this with a tough love attitude. We have the highest incomes in Canada, cleanliest city in the world, one of the highest GDP per capitas in the world, plus 5th most livable city in the world but the one thing that just kills this city is the density. Thats something we know as city we need to fix. I'm quite frankly sick and tired of friends/family coming from Vancouver or Toronto calling Calgary a ghost town and boring and its kind of hard to argue otherwise, so like I said it's showing the city some tough love because I really care about how are city leaves mark on a global scale. Right now Calgary really doesn't look like a city outside the core area, it just looks like a bunch of suburbs glued together. This city grew so fast past 1 million that many Calgarians still approach this city with town mindset. I was reading a survey done this week on youth friendly cities and Calgary absolutely bombed the list, not only were all the Canadian cities lacking compared to other cites around the world but cities like Ottawa did better than us. Especially when I talk to my age group, 20-30, practically all of them would prefer a denser vibrant city, thats one way of retaining younger folks to a city. Now I don't wanna get started on the whole property taxes and development issues as the other problem of urban sprawl but I hope that explains why a huge amount of people here advocate for higher density projects. IMO, I've always thought of it this way, if you can't accustom to an every growing city thats accommodating more denser living than maybe the city isn't for you and you should look to settle in neighbouring towns/cities like okotoks, airdrie etc. Of course this a free society so everyones always entitled to having their own opinions and views but you could always just join us;)

I'm with yeah bud. Calgary is a place where my family and I have had best opportunities, I truly love it here. But the lack of innercity vibrancy hurts. Part of the challenge is structural, we have no major downtown university campus like Toronto, Montreal or Winnipeg. Missing that injection of thousands of young ppl is huge. Also, downtown development was monopolized by commercial offices rather than residential for a long time. Also, we came to the party late on multifamily growth, we don't really have a lot of those midrise concrete blocks that dominated the 60's and 70's in other cities. That being said what we can do is zone and provide the right opportunities for good buildings and vibrancy to develop. And like you say we need ppl to embrace the benefits of things being more dense in the right spots.

I like the neighborhoods of mixed form. Like Mission, Sunnyside, Inglewood, et al. Neighborhoods with single family homes and duplexes, row-housing and a few small apartment blocks, combined with low to mid rise buildings along the arteries. I like the look of high-rises and the added density they bring but ultimately would prefer a mixed style neighbourhood like we see in the Kensington, Inglewood, etc..

I think Calgary is missing the mark by not re-zoning and building up the mid-ring neighborhoods...the neighborhoods that surround the inner city neighborhoods, and building up the arteries that go through these neighborhoods (Edmonton Trail, Northmount Drive, 20th ave, Elbow Drive, etc..

Well Said.

DSC00461.JPG
DSC00460.JPG
Hello all. I wasn't really sure where to post this. I couldn't find a "deconstruction/demolition" thread. My apologies if this is not the right place for this post.

The spooky, cinder-block haunted house that was the former Meals-On-Wheels building at 34th ave and Macleod Tr. is finally being put to rest. Good riddance. I'm told it will be a green space, with a hill constructed from the west retaining wall, down to the LRT fence. With the new CO-OP gas-bar/liquor store/condo project across the street finally happening, it seems a good start to injecting some new life in to the Macleod Trail corridor.

I did see something interesting today while taking pictures, and I'm hoping some old-timey local, or history buff can shed some light. I plan on going to the library this week to do some digging, but any insight would be appreciated. There seems to have been a smaller structure on this site, and the current building was constructed around it. An advertisement/sign painted on the cinder-block has once again seen the light of day, and I am way too curious about what the rest of it says. Pics Attached.
DSC00456.JPG
DSC00439 (2).JPG

Attachments

• DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC00439 (2).JPG
    DSC00439 (2).JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC00461.JPG
    DSC00461.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 653