News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

Digging beside water is not much a challenge anymore . It's also a large site which reflects in the number of units. They won't need to dig deeper than usual. The only question is does it make sense to go underground next to a river? The site is large enough to allow parking to be hidden behind units. You won't even know it's there unlike Colours.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.1720...4!1sQ5RScDq9sYuDxhGJjaGAAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

How is Macleod Trail a freeway? It is a large road, to be sure, but a freeway is a road that has no intersections (only interchanges) and limited access. This is not a freeway. It is a challenging site, but let's not let hyperbole into the discussion.
It's not a freeway, but it might as well be. Along with the Stampede it acts like an eastern wall to the Beltline.

I am not sure if there are restrictions on the Elbow, but being that they are to the north, it won't cast a shadow on it. Not sure if that is what you were thinking, but given your location, I can see why you might get confused ;).

While I agree this is ambitious, having a DP in puts them ahead of One Properties at least. We will see if there is room for this, Portfolio and Oxford. I would anticipate the public realm along 1st street and Macleod would be similar to what has been built adjacent to the other towers further north, with boulevard trees and a nice wide sidewalk.

One design consideration that came to mind. With 1250 units, that is a boatload of parking stalls that will be required per bylaw. Excavating that deep, that close to the river could be a challenge. What if the podium contained above ground parking (similar to Colours on 1st Street), and then the units starting on top? I think the zoning won't impact the height, just the amount of FAR, which above ground parking would eat into.

First floor or two with retail and parkade above could be a creative solution. Would really depend on the materials/design of that parkade wall though. Both Guardian and Colours did a decent job I think.

Other option would be to significantly reduce the residential parking requirement. Right beside the LRT and close to a lot of amenities- I could see a lot of people not needing a car in this location.

Both are viable options, especially reducing the parking requirements. Given how close it is to downtown and right side and LRT station you could easily get away with less parking.

First floor or two with retail and parkade above could be a creative solution. Would really depend on the materials/design of that parkade wall though. Both Guardian and Colours did a decent job I think.

Other option would be to significantly reduce the residential parking requirement. Right beside the LRT and close to a lot of amenities- I could see a lot of people not needing a car in this location.

The construction has paused on the Professional Centre at Meadows Mile, this was the most activity in the last week:

Professional Centre Hole IMG_2205
by ferreth, on Flickr

I have noticed they installed these Metal bits along the bottom of the installed lagging. I dug a little and from my reading, it looks like this is an anchor of some sort to hold the retaining wall in place. I have no idea why the beams are so large - they span the soldier beams, but seem way overkill. Here is a zoom on what I'm talking about:

Professional Centre Hole Metal Thingys IMG_2204
by ferreth, on Flickr

Can anyone provide any insight as to what the function of these big bits of metal are, and what they might be called, if they have some other function beyond holding the wall in place?

CPC next week, here is the agenda:
https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docum...ssion/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-september-21.pdf

Not a ton of interesting stuff, but a few items:
5.02, Truman's Memorial Drive project that just got land use approved this week, has their DP going for approval. Page 105/309.
5.03, A new pedestrian bridge across Bow Trail, to replace the existing one nest to Westbrook Towers. Page 161/309, rendering on pages 176-178

Back