News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

Something that I stumbled upon while walking a few days ago. Fifth Avenue Place is getting its balcony refurbished:

Pictures were taken on May 19th:

33981227823_fd686ea3e6_b.jpg

34790323955_8117514482_b.jpg

33981227433_1f625030d2_b.jpg

Thanks for posting Da_Master. I can't decide if I like or hate the renos of Encana Place. To me it looks like something tacked on to the building as an afterthought.

Thanks for posting Da_Master. I can't decide if I like or hate the renos of Encana Place. To me it looks like something tacked on to the building as an afterthought.

The closer you get to the renovation, the nicer it seems, because as soon as you add some broader context it looks really out of place. I hope they at least do a re-clad on the rest of it, but I'd prefer dynamite.

I'm undecided as well if I like the new lobby or not. I think their idea had potential but I don't know if they are executing it properly. I don't like how the end corners haven't been integrated. It does look tacked on. As for the tower I actually kind of like it. I would replace all the windows though that match the lobby glass (or a very light blue color) and paint the entire exterior pure white.

I agree you guys. It looks quite sharp but, doesn't suit the tower at all.

On its own it looks pretty good, but combined with the building, does not look good. The problem is that the building is dated and specific in it's design. Exposed concrete like that is hard to work with when adding an addition and not much can be done with it unless it's some how in a similar style. My two cents.

There's a lot a designer/developer can do. They just didn't care. Using concrete panels instead of the solid white glass paneling would have been better. Or, Reproduce the building's pattern in the glass podium.

^Agreed. I'm not an architect myself, but if I had to do a lobby redesign for this building it would be exposed concrete (similar color to tower portion) with large windows that are set back in a bit.

Something along the lines of this... The building owner would probably find it too much like the old lobby, but IMO, it's a better way to go.

5563a69ee58eceeb.jpg
Industrial-design-large-windows.jpg

Attachments

• 5563a69ee58eceeb.jpg
    5563a69ee58eceeb.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Industrial-design-large-windows.jpg
    Industrial-design-large-windows.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 300

Back