General Construction Updates

There is this plan, the approved plan:
The paths:
Captureroads.PNG

The roads:
Captureroads2.PNG

The uses:
View attachment 102741
https://www.ucalgary.ca/campusforward/files/campusforward/lrdp-2016-v2.7.1_2017_03_03.pdf

If you look at the legend, the Crowchild Trail adjacent side is set as Mixed Use, Parking and Transit, and an academic building or 6. The goal is to screen parking behind buildings, and have little to no surface parking.

Attachments

• Captureroads.PNG
    Captureroads.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 273
  • Captureroads2.PNG
    Captureroads2.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 329
Intereting plans. Have any designs or proposals or any general statements about how they intend to make use of the land with more specificity than "mixed use" or "Academic?" Which faculties/facilities are getting to reap the rewards?

I was about to go on a rant about all the wasted space along Crowchild Trail, thanks for posting those legends Darwink.
It'll be nice to see those areas developed at some point. Someone earlier had pointed out that the pathways from the LRT station into the university are narrow and dark, and I couldnt agree more. I'd love to see some of these pathways developed sooner rather than later.

Intereting plans. Have any designs or proposals or any general statements about how they intend to make use of the land with more specificity than "mixed use" or "Academic?" Which faculties/facilities are getting to reap the rewards?

From the plan:
"The LRDP sets a land development outlook for the next 30-40 years, but it does not provide a time frame for development, given the ever-changing nature of postsecondary education. Instead, it puts in place overarching guidelines and parameters to ensure our campus develops in a holistic matter, responds to changing needs and engages the communities we both serve and lead."

There are issues (due to the historic protections of universities from coersive powers of the state) with putting for profit facilities on main campus, so likely no rental apartments, offices, or medical clinics for people outside of the campus community.

Last edited:
From the plan:
"The LRDP sets a land development outlook for the next 30-40 years, but it does not provide a time frame for development, given the ever-changing nature of postsecondary education. Instead, it puts in place overarching guidelines and parameters to ensure our campus develops in a holistic matter, responds to changing needs and engages the communities we both serve and lead."

That for the errr... clarification... so basically they're saying if they need more space at some future time, this is how they might do it.

That for the errr... clarification... so basically they're saying if they need more space at some future time, this is how they might do it.
Haha yes. The university moves at its own pace, and to the pleasure of our funding sources.

Good to see that the they have plans for that empty space.

As far as the suburban nature of the university, it is what it is. I'm not sure much can ever be done to change it, but at least some improvements can be made. a better tie in to the train station is one. Possibly some sort of boulevard/corridor between the university and Brentwood TOD could go a long way to injecting better urban atmosphere.

As far as the suburban nature of the university, it is what it is. I'm not sure much can ever be done to change it, but at least some improvements can be made. a better tie in to the train station is one. Possibly some sort of boulevard/corridor between the university and Brentwood TOD could go a long way to injecting better urban atmosphere.

We'll see how sub-urban it feels when the West Campus stuff is all said and done.

The is a long term project to complete a new masterplan for the Research Park (connecting the university to Brentwood). That is a long term project though, and governance needs to be clarified first. Nothing public for a few years probably.

Also a plan for higher order transit connecting the different parts of campus, the childrens, and the foothills (NW Hub). That is more medium term iirc.

Interesting. I guess time will tell a lot can happen in a short time, and people forget that the university isn't very old. Look how much has changed in just 40 years.

Both the University and the Brentwood area would benefit from a plan like that. I wonder if there are any plans to add more student learning facilities in the area where research park is right now?

The is a long term project to complete a new masterplan for the Research Park (connecting the university to Brentwood). That is a long term project though, and governance needs to be clarified first. Nothing public for a few years probably.

Also a plan for higher order transit connecting the different parts of campus, the childrens, and the foothills (NW Hub). That is more medium term iirc.

That would be a fantastic change to Chinook and a great start to improvements along Macleod.

I realize this next bit is a pipe dream and way over the top, but I'd love to see something like this provide a southern anchor for improvements along Macleod from downtown. There are a number of lots that will undergo development on Macleod between downtown and Glenmore over the next 10-15 years so a major upgrade that eliminates surface parking directly off of Macleod might act as a catalyst. Right now on Macleod you have the Medical Centre going up, which while generic is a huge improvement over what surrounds it, you have the old Henninger Toyota used lot that will hopefully go in the next year or two, and then you have a number of aging car dealerships and a ton of 30-40 year old strip mall developments that are ripe for redevelopment.

Back