News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

06CF0208-DD8E-4EBB-B6C7-2096F9AD76F8.jpeg

I wish there was a bit higher density on that Crown Park location, but I’m happy to see some development happening.
It's unfortunate that the master plan is unduly influenced by the 8 existing single family homes along 26
Street SW. That should be the highest density corner of the site - ideally Brookfield would acquire those parcels.

Even if Crown Park was as is, but a couple of 5/1s were built at the west end of the parcel, it would make a difference.

It's a shame the city didn't come up with a zoning plan for that area before any development went through. They could have had some higher density and left the houses in place, but with the new zoning the houses would have eventually been developed. Probably sooner than later. The city builds nice transit infrastructure, but can't think far enough into the future to take advantage of it.

1674155657972.png

Last edited:
The City did, it is called the Shaganappi Point Area Redevelopment Plan, and it was put in place roughly 2012-2013ish, when Silver first upzoned and sold this land to Brookfield. Brookfield could have built significantly more dense here, but chose not to. However, that plan called for Medium Density Residential along 26th Street SW homes. I should note, this plan is now superceded by the Westbrook LAP, and I am not sure what is included in that.

The old Shaganappi Point ARP can stil be found here (for now):

From the plan:
1674160399770.png

The City did, it is called the Shaganappi Point Area Redevelopment Plan, and it was put in place roughly 2012-2013ish, when Silver first upzoned and sold this land to Brookfield. Brookfield could have built significantly more dense here, but chose not to. However, that plan called for Medium Density Residential along 26th Street SW homes. I should note, this plan is now superceded by the Westbrook LAP, and I am not sure what is included in that.

From the plan:
View attachment 451420
Westbrook LAP:
Screenshot_20230119-135656.png
Screenshot_20230119-135646.png

The entire site through to 26th St is Low Density (up to 6 stories), and Neighbourhood Connector:
1674162023131.png

1674162156487.png

From the plan:
View attachment 451420
I wish they had some higher density around the LRT station but medium density is better than nothing.

From the plan:
View attachment 451420
I'm surprised Brookfield didn't go with more density if the zoning was already there. What a waste.

Well at the time of them putting this project together, the condo market was not great. Townhomes in this location will probably sell pretty quickly. I can understand the decision.
Planning rules should be proactive not reactive...in fact it should just be more liberalized to begin with.

Cities are so reactionary in terms of housing and transit. Canada is a growing country...why do you need to wait until infrastructure and housing demand is overwhelmed before doing shit...

I seen somewhere that Vancouver is *considering* to allow more infill. lol ok congrats on being 15 years late to maybe do the bare minimum

Back