News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

The city is a joke. How do you just let a prominent lot in the city turn into a surface parking lot, and then say things like 'we want to revitalize downtown'. Maybe start with ensuring that prominent lots don't turn into surface parking. Turn it into a small park or something in the meantime.

The city is a joke. How do you just let a prominent lot in the city turn into a surface parking lot, and then say things like 'we want to revitalize downtown'. Maybe start with ensuring that prominent lots don't turn into surface parking. Turn it into a small park or something in the meantime.
Small park or Basketball courts

Many of the temporary parking lots approved 10 years ago are still there. The permits can be renewed every 5 years basically indefinitely. In my opinion it's dishonest of the City to call them temporary.

How did they get approved in the first place, especially this one (which is new), along with several others I can think of here, here, and of course, the recently City funded upgrade to a 1,000 stall surface parking lot here. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-evan-woolley-ward-sutherland-stampede-cmlc-1.6000851

The reason I am suprised they got approval, was because this is directly from the Beltline Area Redevelopment Plan:
1645027816155.png

What is the point of having governing planning policy, if it is simply ignored? Is this language not crystal clear? Is it because it says "should" and not "shall" (rationale I have personally herd from senior members of administration)? If Council was serious about implementing policies to achieve the targets in our MDP and other objectives in our policies, I would be having a very serious conversation with my GM of Planning about how this occurred, and what is to be done about it. Yet, I don't have much faith in that taking place.......

The other weird thing the city seems to not be able to wrap its head around is that its role is two-fold: regulator of the land use decisions and investor who owns parking lots nearby.

So not only is a temporary parking lot against policy, bad for city development objectives and against community wishes, it also competes directly with the city's own parking nearby - notably the mega-garage on 10th Ave and all street parking in the vicinity. The public loses from both angles.

I am only a tiny bit joking here - if I was the public parking authority I would actively fight every single parking lot proposal within walking distance. I mean, we have already decided that the public should be a market actor in the parking lots, why not actually act like a market actor and protect our investment? The CPA should appeal every new stall in a development within 800m of their monster garages. I am sure there's some silly policy/bureaucracy rules in the parking authority bylaw that prevents them from acting like this ... but who cares? We are already ignoring policy here anyways.

At the risk of once again echoing the great Donald Shoup - the problem is foundational: parking policies are nonsensical at their core. The planning authority and the city play both sides of the coin to perverse and non-sensical outcomes.

With respect to parking, we are a regulator that doesn't regulate to the outcomes we say we want; we are also a market participant that owns a bunch of parking garages that doesn't act in our own best interests for our investments.

Last edited:

Back